Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i need your help!!

ive had my cmax for about 3 weeks now and its all good apart from the air con, im not sure if its working???

i get the light coming on on the dash but not notciable kicking in of the aircon pump etc and the air inside the car isnt getting any cooler.

in the manual it says it works at 5deg c or above , its been 9 here today and that has made no difference??

so when you put your own a/c on do you notice it kicking in etc??

cheers

steve

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If you put the heater on recirc at the present and you get it mising up then when you put the air conn on it ought to clear the misting and it's working

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the inside of the screen was misted up earlier this week and putting the a/c on made no difference to the clearing of it??

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Suggest then that it probaly isn't working though not certain why at present

One reason that you'd have to get a proper check for would be that the refridgerant has all leaked

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Kwik fit will check it for you & regas it if it needs.I think they charge £15-£20 for this.Also if they can`t do it I don`t think they charge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if there is no refrigerant would the compressor still cut in though or not???

thanks for the replys by the way??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys
I have had this same problem. All of the refrigerant leaked out of my system over time so I had it regassed at Kwik Fit (Approx £45). The problem is that they cannot guarantee that the refrigerant wont leak out again. Mine lasted a week and stopped working again so I basically threw the £45 away. The light on the A/C button will always come on but this doesnt mean the A/C is operating. If the the refrigerant drops below a predetermined level the compressor is cut out to protect the system but the light will still come on. It is possible to refill the system yourself with a canister and some contain additives that will help to seal leaks. I havent tried this yet but will do next year, Halfords have a few products that may help. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202977_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

Frank

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took our C-Max into Ford to have air con checked in August 07 before the warranty ran out. Ford saidsystem OK and charged me for a refill. Anyway, iearlythis year we noticed that screen was notclearing like it used to when weather damp.

Had system checked my local AC man who said that system was very low and on inspection it was found that the condensor was leaking. He supplied a new one and I fitted it and then came back to fill system back up. All been OK since.

This cost me £200 (ish) to fix. Annoyingly, if FORD had checked the system when I took it in itwould have been sorted under warranty, bunch of
. Needless to say car does not go to Ford any longer.

Also, as others have said. AC compressor will not cut in if low on gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
also had probs with my air con, the condensor leaked at the mountings, ford wanted £195 for a condensor but you can get pattern condensors for £95 delivered, local mechanic fitted it and i've not had a prob since.loads of people have had the same problem so the ford condensor must be crap.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Richard,
Mine just went in the garage for a couple of other things and I asked them about the AirCon and they suggested running it for a minimum of 1/2an houra WEEK....

This will keep the system working properly, stop any seals drying out or perishing and will stop the build up of bacteria and stuff in the system (this is why you can sometimes get a funny smell if the AirCon hasn't been used much).

I hope that helps.....
Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I also use aAir con cleaner once a year like this:

This one shown costs around £12 but you can get cheaper ones that do the same job. As always, google is your friend!Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
28 Posts
To be honest I run my A/C almost all of the time. I had a problem a few years back when I thought the A/C was not working. My simple test was to run it to fully cold and whilst on a run turn the fans on full blast. If working the air from the vents is almost like a fridge. Mine wasn;t and the fiendly Ford garage changed me a small fortune to regas.

BTW. They told me they use a coolant with a dye in and so I had to take the car back after a few weeks so they could check there was no leakage. I have heard you can get coolant with a sealant in it to correct leaks. The Ford garage told me not to use this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts