Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know due to my own experiences with my ford focus c max I belivethat the car is very unreliable.

I today own a ford focus c max and cant wait to get shot of it.

I only keep the car as I have 8 more months on my finance agreement then I can give it back and wave good buy to this dreadful car and say hellow to happy reliable motoring once again by buying somethink morereliable.

I have being a member of this club for a while now and see people asking for advise on if they should buy a ford focusc max or not.

I see everyone on this club thinks the car is great and says to whoever is asking for advise on buying it YES it is a breat car go for it.

I have decided to copy and paste none c max owners club reveiws on the car as I looked on sites like this when looking to buy my ford focus c max.

I saw all the good things saied about the car and then went and got one and as a result I have had two years of stress endless bills and the mostunrelible motoring ever experienced since passing my driving test.

So heres some none Cmax owners club reviews on the c max.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WHAT CAR

<TABLE id=gvReview style="WIDTH: 600px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0>

<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>16/01/2009
stewart oxley, tyne & wear
2.0 TDCi Ghia 5 dr

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

Quality, practicality and equipment
<TR id=gvReview_ctl02_showmpg2>

Average mpg 40
<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>I have owned this car now for 1 year and have no problems at all.
Good points - fun to drive, nippy for size, equipment level is good,
boot size decent, love the electronic parking brake.
Bad points - tyre wear, clock has to be re-set every couple of month
( if thats a bad point )due to lost couple of mins.
Any more problem then i will up-date.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>15/01/2009
Amanda Wolfe
1.6i 16v Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Good points - most things

Bad points - 'Rattly' back seats and a bad intermittant engine misfire, but only when the engine has warmed up (e.g long journeys). Took it back to the main dealer who cannot trace the fault despite hooking it up to the computer. The car had it's routine service at the same time, spark plugs changed etc, and now the misfire is worse!

I really don't enjoy driving this car now!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>09/01/2009
Nick Willis
2.0 TDCi Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TR id=gvReview_ctl04_showmpg2>

Average mpg 48
<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Bought in April 08 when it was 3 yrs old and only 23k, had to have new Cat fitted as old one fractured due to missing bracket left out when clutch was replaced. Main dealer didn't want to know as car had changed hands and been serviced by another main dealer in Portsmouth since. Cost £800. Jan '09 at 36k, alternator failed, dealer charged £300+. Still have an ongoing problem where the boot opens when starting the car!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>16/12/2008
Patrick King, Berkshire
2.0 TDCi Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TR id=gvReview_ctl05_showmpg2>

Average mpg 27
<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Bought from new - happy to start with - then reliability problems crept in - loss of power, recall for power assist brake fault, electrical issues and loose trim. OK to drive with high seating position but poor fuel ecconomy. Warranty & after sales very poor.

Main issue is safety - This car is dangerous because the Power Steering and ABS/Barkae Assist can fail without warning and result in 80% loss of steering and braking control.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>08/12/2008
Barbara Whitehead
2.0 TDCi Ghia 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TR id=gvReview_ctl06_showmpg2>

Average mpg 39
<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>We have owned this car for nine months, it was bought from a Ford dealership who were very good, shame about the car. We have had to have rear brake pads and an alternator, now the engine light has stayed on all one day and to top it all the engine lost all revs and would not pull away even in first gear, just kept stalling.We tow a small caravan in the summer and the towing performance has been good, but with zero reliability it has to go. Would I buy another Ford not on your life.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>27/07/2008
Anne Amner
2.0 TDCi Ghia 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Having been initially pleased with the car (bought 12m old in 2005) we are now finding more things wearing out. Last service (15k miles) needed new brake pads AND discs, now, still less than 25k the front pads need replacing again. Also alternator has just gone as per last review - are they all wearing out about now? Seems to be high wear and tear given low mileage. DVD player and radio now malfunctioning after fixing alternator, so...back to the dealer...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE id=gvReview style="WIDTH: 600px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0>

<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>09/07/2008
Chris Johnson, Kent
1.6 TDCi (108bhp) Ghia 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Following up my review of 25/8/06 it is time to say goodbye to this C-Max. Failed alternator was the last straw, and after 20,000 miles and 3 years I'm buying Japanese again.

Since my report 2 yrs ago (dropped passenger door, EPB failure, motor wiper recall, selt belt failure fixed under warranty) we have suffered central locking failure, electric window failure and now the alternator has failed.

What a shame for Ford; this car is fabulous to drive and ticks every box for my young family except the most important one: RELIABILITY!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>21/01/2008
Martin Bagshaw
2.0 TDCi Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>This car is BAD to say the least and the ford dealer was bad.The list of faults was endless and we couldnt wait to get rid of it.Everytime it went for a service they reported serious break failures on the rear.This was despite the recall work to stop it squealing in reverse.The dashboard displayed luggage compartment open and alarmed for 3 years constant.The clock couldn't hold it's time and was rubbish to set.Car nearly killed us at least 50 times due to cutting out in traffic or road junctions ,this was the EGR valve the dealer said ,but couldnt offer a fix.So when you lose your breaks and power steering just hope for the best.The boot comes open during travelling.Dealer reply ,"is it when u press the break pedal because we know about that fault" but it wasn't.Dealer cracked the engine cover on a service and car was off road for three weeks.Couldn't even drive it for 20 miles in the end.The last 20 mile trip and the alternator failed and again took three weeks to repair.Various trim fell off and the panel gaps must be the worst in the industry.Basically there is nothing good about this car other than a six speed box and i rarely used it.Looking on the forums it seems the mondeos also suffer from the egr valve fault.Wonder if it has killed anyone yet.My wife refused to drive it as she nearly got wiped out by lorries on more than one occasion.So now i have bought my own car as i wanted more control over its repairs .Not a FORD

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>07/11/2007
Viv Blaney
1.6 TDCi (108bhp) Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Henry Ford must be turning in his grave if he knows about the number of his customers driving around in these.

I would not be surprised to hear that some of the cars previously mentioned for loss of power etc have been involved in accidents. Best place for them is the scrapyard! Most scary of all is the loss of brakes when 'Transmission malfunction' is displayed. As if losing power on the M25 surrounded by juggernauts isn't bad enough!

This is my fourth and last ever Ford! Tell your friends - I've told mine!

Recalling the model would cost Ford money but bad publicity and loss of loyal customers will cost them more.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>21/09/2007
Nigel Mills
1.6 TDCi (108bhp) Ghia 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>Mine was a 1.6CVT. Avoid these cars.

I eventually sold mine back to the dealer, losing £4000 in the process. The car intermittently ran out of power: the Ford dealer I bought it from couldn't fix it, despite Ford Technical's involvement.

The car had a new engine and spent 1.5 months of our six-month ownership in the garage.

Ford clearly has a problem - they have chosen not to resolve it.

The car was lovely when it ran, but we eventually couldn't trust it not to stop working in front of articulated lorries.

I will not buy Ford again. Warn your friends

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<TABLE width=600>

<TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top noWrap>05/07/2006
John Kerr
1.6 TDCi (108bhp) Zetec 5 dr

Overall

What it's like to drive

Running costs

<TD vAlign=top>

<TD style="WIDTH: 420px" vAlign=top align=left>A disaster of a car. I have had it in the garage 9 times with various problems - the flywheel went, the rear wiper had to be replaced and worst of all the car suffers from intermittent power losses. This has taken place 6 times over a year and Ford cannot find the problem. The power loss makes the car a death trap. On one occasion I was overtaking when the speed dropped to 25mph. Ford are awful. They will not take any responsibility for this. I am getting rid of it next month. I will never buy a Ford after this.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So as you can see the car has many bad points to it aswell.
I see on thiscluba one dimensionil attitude about theford focus c max.

I see people asking for advise from people on if they should buy a ford focus c max or not.

I say if you are going to ask for advise from a site like this then you will not be getting the whole picture on the car and its reliability issues.

This is the ford focus c max fan club. Everyone on here loves the car so will only give you a one dimensionil answer the car is great end off story.

Every carhas reliability issues at some point in time.

I think it is just how oftern these issues come up andin my opinion and going on my experience with my ford focus c max these issues come up alot and for me it hastook the enjoyment out of driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have found this site to be a mine of information when trying to fix problems on my C-Max.

Contrary to your opinion I do not think everyone on here "loves the car". The drive and comfort is good but like you I think the reliability is very poor. I am sorry you have had such a torrid time with your C-Max but you are not alone on this site. I have had EGR valve issues, alternator failure, boot lock problems and countless other niggles. I would not recommend the car and would not buy another one.

I am afraid all cars seem to have their own problems these days. But I agree that the C-Max does fail a little too often. Provided you look at all the posts on this forum I do not think you would get a glowing report for the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Michael,
this made some good reading, but from what I've heard from a lot of people the consensus seems to be in favour of the C-Max both the old and new models.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't find negative reaction for almost any model from any manufacturer, I think the thing is you always get good cars that go on and on and on without any problems, but at the same time you get some cars that seem to spend as much time in the garage as they do being driven by the owners.

I'm sure you'll agree that the C-max is very much down to individuals taste. I mean I'd love them to bring out one based on the ST because I want the flexibilty of the C-Max but with some of the driver dynamics of the Focus ST.

I think the KEY to this all is..... Read as many threads as you can and you willget both sides of the story, Good and Bad, which when buying any car has to be key to helping you make the right decision.

Also looking through the DATES of the things you've picked up on, most of them were some time ago (2006/ 2007), the most recent ones (2009) seem to be more positive towards the car.

Any I've had my say so enough said really....
Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started this topic to get people to also talk about the on going faults that come with owning a c max.

I have not read one post that shows people who are very unhappy with the car expressing there feelings about the cars constant reliability issues.

I see alot of posts about one problem people may have with there c max but not one post about the constant problems people are having.

I started this as I wish there was someone who would have put down on a forum like this the bad experiences they have had with there focus c max as well as the good.

This is a great club and it has many great members who are always willing to help with ant issues they can.

I just wish people who are members that are having constant problems with there c max would post the problems they are having on here so others who are thinking about buying one can see the bad things about the car as well as the good.

I think there is nothink more valuable than real peoples opinions and experiences.

So if you are having constant problems or none at all post them on here so if someone wants real owners opinion they wont have to look no further than here.

THE FOCUS C MAX OWNERS CLUB

·
Registered
280 Posts
Michael
I couldn't agree more with that.

Maybe we should contact who ever set up the site and see if they are able to add an area specifically for faults and stuff that individuals can view easily rather than having to trawl through bucket loads of threads.

What do you think?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am glad someone agrees with methis is a great club with great members and it isfull of answers to many questions.

I think it misses one thing peoples experiences of owning a c max.
If your experiences are good or bad share them. If you have had no problems or like me hadendless problems share your experiences that is invaluable.

We need Real people who have to live with the car day in and day out. Real people who have to live with its ups and downs everyday.
We are real owners of the car we live wwith it everyday.

We are not just some journalist on a 5 minute road test saying for the time he drove it that the car was great.

Voice you opinions on the car tell your experiences good or bad it all helps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep this forum could probably benefit from a faults area i could certainly post my alternator probs but i also had probs with my galaxy, before that i had a renault and it was worse. I use this forum when i need answers and if my experiences can help anyone i`m happy to share. I do like this car as it drives really well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts