Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I AM GETTING A NOISE COMING FROM THE BOTTOM PULLEY OF MY CMAX 1.6 TDCI,THE SOUND IS LIKE A LOLLY STICK IN THE SPOKES OF A BIKE WHEEL.
I HAVE RAN THE ENGINE BYPASSING THE AIR CON COMPRESSOR, TO RULE THAT OUT, AND ALSO BYPASSED THE ALTERNATOR USING A SMALLER BELT. I HAVE ALSO CHANGED THE BELT TENSIONER, BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE AND GETS LOUDER AND FASTER AS THE REVS INCREASE. WHEN I RUN THE ENGINE WITHOUT A BELT ON,THERE IS NO NOISE AT ALL AND THE BOTTOM PULLEY HAS NO PLAY ON THE SHAFT. WHEN THE BELT IS ATTACHED THE TENSIONER MOVES VERY RAPIDLY TAKE OFF THE TENSION WITH A LARGE SCREWDRIVER AND THE NOISE DISSAPEARS.
IM A BIT STUCK AS ARE FORD.
REGARDS
STEVE

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Something must presumably be moving just slightly when under the operating tension of the belt, but you do seem to have removed all the obviuos sources individually to eliminate them

I haven't got ours here at present to look at to see if it is a toothed belt but I was wondering if parts of the belt have stretched and what you hear is the teeth jumping over the pulley but then you.ve tried it with different belts and still got the noise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES THE BELT HAS TEETH BUT ITS NOT BELT NOISE. ITS LIKE A CHILD RUNNING A METAL BAR ALONG A WROUGHT IRON PICKET FENCE HIGH PITCHED AND FAST. ALSO FORGOT TO ADD THE NOISE IS MORE FAINT WHEN ENGINEHAS BEEN LEFT OVER NIGHT,5 MINUTES INTO A JOURNEY AND ITS LIKE TURNING A VOLUME DIAL UP TO MAXIMIUM.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I had another thought
For the tensioner to move rapidly at any time the belt tension is changing now all I can think of is that somewhere behind the tensioner (in the case of direction of rotation of the belt) has cause to be changing its friction charateristics when the proper tension is applied.

Given your comment about it also being heat related I wonder if a bearing is failing or one / some of the rollers within the cage have failed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WERE IS THE BEARING LOCATED,AND ALSO ROLLERS WITHIN THE CAGE,AND IF IT IS A BEARING PROBLEM WOULD I FEEL PLAY IN THE PULLY,BECAUSE I HAVE CHECKED FOR PLAY AND THERE IS NON.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
You say you checked the bottom pulley. This will most likely be the crankshaft one that is driving the belt around so I don't think the problem is there.

I can't just look at ours now to determine what item with a toothed pulley is after the tensioner but I think I'd start here. Given the awkward nature of getting to any part of the engine down by the pulleys I wonder if you would feel what might only be a small amount of linear movement. I think it is more a case of rotational lack of movement that is involved

any pulley here will have a bearing on the shaft where it then goes within the confines of the engine block or other item even possibly the water pump or oil pump

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS FOR THE INPUT TAKING CAR TOMMORROW TO A MOTOR ENGINEERS FOR THEIR OPINION CANT SEEM TO GET ANYWERE WITH MY LOCAL FORD DEALER ALSO EVERYTIME I GOTHEY WANT ANOTHER £75+VAT OFF ME NOT BAD FOR NOT DIAGNOSING IT. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON HOW I GET ON.
REGARDS
STEVE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi i have now found the source of the noise, its the bottom pulley. my local motor engineer diagnosed it within 5 minutes,apparently the pulley has a rubber bonding within its body and this has come away from the back plate giving movement and thus causing vibration, and making the tensioner bounce,easy way to check this is to get a long flat bladed screwdriver and ease it into the backplate twist the driver from side to side and you will see excessive movement between the toothed part and the backplate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hI all,,just had a quick read of all your messages as my car seems to have the same noise comming from the crank pulley(c-max 1.6 tdci 110,000 miles)could you let me know if they changed the crankshaft pulley or overhauled the one you had and at what cost..thanks a lot all the best Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
just got a quote from FORDS £80 and with a little bit of luck should be able to do it myself, lets hope it's not one of those jobs that look easy, but takes days. thanks all the best Nick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello folks

i have a 06 focus c-max 1.8tdci on about 56k seems to be making a (only way i can describe it other than dry bearings sound perhaps) whirring sound. its not noticeable on idle but after say 1750 rpm you can hear it and it gets faster with the engine rpm. seems to be coming from drivers side lower down but that may just be noise echoing

do you recon its the same problem you guys have ? where do i go looking to find out ? if it is is this a life threatening problem to my engine or just bliming anoying as it sounds like im driving a banger

·
Registered
18 Posts
THE NOISE I SEEM TO HAVE IS LIKE THE ONE THAT WAS DESCRIBED EARLIER BY SOMEONE ITS LIKE A CHILD RUNNING A METAL BAR ALONG ANIRON PICKET FENCE. IT DOESNT SEEM TO SOUND LIKE THE BEARING BUT WHO KNOWS I COULD BE WRONG, I WILL DEFINATELY TRY THE CRANK PULLEY AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. REGARDS NEO

·
Registered
25 Posts
had the cmax in ford to get the noise investigated and the results are ...................... you geussed it the good old crank shaft pulley (supposidly) should be done and dusted tomorow so will report back if they changed / found the correct faulty part

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did they feck lol they fixed the light clanking sound at tick over which to be honest I thought was to be the star of Dmf issues, the done the crank pulley and aux belt yet the whirring noise remains. They are coming to me on Monday so I can point out to the tech my self the noise. Shouldn't have to as it's louder than the blimin diesel racket lol pretty raging to be honest

Whilst it was in I got them to run diagnostic check on the car and have the software updated, they done it for 40 which was worth it in my opinion as the car has never been in to ford since the factory. Car seems to run better, doesn't want to stall as easy low in the revs. There was sometimes a little blip low down in the revs which is now gone too, maybe just me but the mpg seems to be up as well the trip home seen recorded average mpg 58 and I wasn't even trying.

So Monday I should see what there tech recons to the noise it was booked in to get fixed lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
changed the crankshaft pulley today and the car sounds like it did when it was new...no more noise..unfortunately the pulley was not £80 like Fords first told me when i went down there to collect it they informed me the price had gone up to £113. Price increase apparently. Doing the job was straight forward id say the hardest part was taking the engine spash shield off, which needed to be done as the crank shaft had to be locked in position to tighten the crank pulley nut to the torque which was 30NM AND THE TIGHTENa further 180degrees.

now have to take it to fords to upgrade the software, thanks for all the help and comments, which helped to diagnose my fault..lots of regards neo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all i know i,ve not done alot on here but not had much go wrong with my c max until now. I've got the same noise as above and having been advised by local mechanic it was the tensioner as the noise went when you pushed it, had it changed today but the noise is still there. On closer inspection the air con pump doesn't seem to be working as its not going round and then he's added it could also be the crank shaft pully. Just wondering what your thoughts are or should i just bit the bullet and have both changed while he's there.
Thanks Alex

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Aircon pump may not go round if the Aircon is off or faulty. I had a leak and no gas left and the pump didn't turn. Engineer said its a cut off to protect the system when there is no gas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts