Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Brought an 05 reg ford focus c-max 1.6 zetecthree weeks ago but am quite worried. When reversing and during any type of parking the steering colum seems to be very creaky and noisey. It doesn't seem right at all, driving is fine but this noise is really starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone have the same problem or know what it could be??Power steering fluid is fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Couple of questions:
Does the noise happen while turning the steering wheel or when you have turned full lock?
Does the sound come from the steering wheel itself or is it from outside i.e engine bay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi the noise seems to be coming from the engine bay but the vibration can be felt through the streering wheel. And it only seems to doit wilst turning the steering wheel at low speeds or stopped. CHEERS For your quick reply LITA.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well not what I thought it was

Well if it is coming from the engine bay, it could be the power steering pump. Wish I was at home (at work, the joys of the late shift
) as I would look at the TIS Ford manual. Wonder if the steering is belt driven??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply
We took the car to a car park earlier to have a better look and luckily for us a mechanic was about. He knew straight away it had been bumped on the side and that the drivers side front wheel was a quater of an inch further forward than the passenger side one. He said itsounds like the steering rack had been bumped. We're taking the car back to the garage tomorrow.
Thanks again, Lita

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
A little surprising that a mechanic on a car park just happened to have sufficient tools with him to be able to measure ¼ inch difference between the two front wheels

I don't say it isn't this but as you haven't mentioned that the steering is hard to turn then I wonfer if the rack is damaged

One further point if this had happened then it is unlikely that when were driving straight ahead that the steering wheel would look as though it were straight aheas as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi the car is in the garage today they said it was the the top mounts and there gonna check the tracking too. So hopfully this should sort the it out (fingers crossed)
. If not we will take it back till they sort it. Getting very fed up with cars we brought a scenic 6 months ago and that cought fire 5 hours after we drove off from the fourcourt so as you can imagine we just want to have trouble free motoring

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I'm not certain that the symptoms you've mentioned and the causes that you've been told about actually match

Despite the gyroscopic effect of incresed speed I'd normally expect more engine vibration at driving speeds than at idle

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
HONEYLITA said:
Hi the car is in the garage today they said it was the the top mounts and there gonna check the tracking too. So hopfully this should sort the it out (fingers crossed)
. If not we will take it back till they sort it. Getting very fed up with cars we brought a scenic 6 months ago and that cought fire 5 hours after we drove off from the fourcourt so as you can imagine we just want to have trouble free motoring
I take it that no one was hurt on the scenic fire?
It would seem you've not had the best of luck but don't let it get you down... stiff upper lip and all that

·
Registered
336 Posts
Lo creaky noises on turning are often top mounts or rubber bushes at the top of the suspension. You will need a spring compressor to remove them and replace them. Not a job for 1st time diyer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car back this afternoon
no noise or vibration so hopefuly fingers crossed touch wood etc etc etc. They moaned at the garage though said it took them all day to fix it not my problem though it is under warranty luckely for us
. Just got to get 2 new tyres then hopefully we'll get years of trouble free motoring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi they said they changed the top mounts and we asked them to check the tracking too just incase. Gonna get the tracking checked when i get new tyres so not too worried about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
 Hi Honeylita.  I owe you and the other guys on here a big THANK YOU.  I've also had a noisey something or other that seemed to be worsening.  It only happened when turning but it was not the power assisted pump belt as I make a point of trying not to use full lock so as to not strain the pump.

I have today veen back to the garage I bought the car from and I was able to sound ever so knowledgeable
 and I told them that it was probably the mountin on the suspension!!  Sure enough, they checked it and confirmed I was right
!  It's all thanks to this website.
 I am now takaing the car back on Monday to have it repaired under the warranty.

THANKS again

Margaret

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is great Margaret
I bet they were quite impressed!

Now my little creaky fault has been fixed I seem to have another worry. Does anyones power steering make a hissing kind of noise when the wheel is turned? When stationary and turning the wheel left or right I can hear an arritating hissing, letting out air kind of sound. It doesn't start when first driving, its usually after 5mins or so.

My husband says its normal with power steering but I'm not too sure.

Lita

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Not that you should really be turning power steering when stationary

You can get all sorts of stanger noises often due to tyre flexing or scrubbing on the ground

1 - 20 of 21 Posts