Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the MOT in the morning (got everything crossed, touching wood etc..!) and part of the plan was the replacement of the heated windscreen today as it had a couple of dodgy chips.

Well Autoglass came, fitted and after I helped him with a jump start he went. I turned the car round and back on the driveway and went to lock up but nothing

Went inside gotthe spare fob but that's not working either.

Not had chance to check the fuse, but my first thought is if the he has cut/failed to connect the wires?

If it's not one thing... never mind. Did try and get a new rear wiper blade for the car from Halfords..... hahahahahahaha that was a joke as well!
Thats for another thread

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
That is definately not any connected fault I've ever heard of before

I'll have a think and post later if anything comes to mind

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Try reprogramming the fob.Sounds exactly like mine.One min works great,next nothing.
Put key in ignition,turn on till dash lights come on.Do this 6 times in 30 seconds then push any button,should work.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that is what I did this morning but no joy.
Checked the fuse after looking through the TIS (F43 10a) and is ok, but still replaced just in case.
However, when I took the car for the MOT this morning, I mentioned how they need to use the key to get in and he said "oh they messed up the sensor then!"

I think both are related though as the car was white this morning and when I switched the heated screen on and left it for 5 minutes, it was still white!
They are coming back tomorrow so we shall see.

Oh and the car passed the MOT with flying colours, yippeeeeeeee

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats on the mot. always a chore. Shame about the screen. I won't be using autograss then! 1st direct on Knights Park rd are highly recommended. Haven't bitten the bullet yet regarding my screen , Tesco ins will only pay for autoglass oronly £125 towards a proper job.
I am using warm water. works for me......................

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
One word sums this up: stumped!

Autoglass came round, removed the windscreen, checked the connections (all ok) but then stumbled on the fuse layout and the lack ofwhat fuse does what.
Seeing as I am nights, I could help them but they have left me with more donkey work :(
Now I have checked the TIS DVD and trying to make sense of what does what.

Now the main faults are the Heated windscreen does not work and the remote central locking does not work either.
I have checked the following fuses and all seem ok:
Engine fuse box - F25, F14, F16
Inside fuse box - F43 & F70

Now I could take out every fuse and check (probably will do in the morning) but I just seem to banging my head against the wall!

So chaps, any ideas?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If you have provision for checking voltage then try checking at various points along both the supply and the earth from the screen

Also try the relays for voltage on both sides and also on the supply to the coil
With the ignition off you could asl try and measure the resistance to earth at one of the two main fuses
To get ½ of the screen to pull 40a means you ought to measure less that ½ OHM

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks to Andy (Trim Wizzard) I got the list of fuses to confirm what I had from the TIS.
They are all ok.
Checked quite a few and all in good shape.
Phoned Autoglass up and car now going to the work shop on Wednesday morning so that they can test the screen.
I also said that I have replaced the remote battery but seeing as I can not reset the blipper as it is not working. Andy TM has said that there is a earth connection behind the rear view mirror and having had a quick peep, well I found a Siemens black box in the roof line.
Could this be the remote box?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yippeee!
Should of posted on Wednesday but been running around looking after a sick family and now me as well!

A HUGE thanks to Andy for the tip about the earth connection as this is what the fitter thought it might be. In a nutshell, he unbolted, tested, cleaned and put it all back and what do you know, a fully working C-Max!

Hoo flippin ray

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well done in getting the so called experts to correct their mistake! Are you happy with the fitting otherwise, (suits you, sir ) and would you say if I go into Autograss in the new year they might get mine right first time?? Should I mention your experience?
Experts, Phah!!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How was the fitting, suits you sir ohhh!
Fitting I think is very good just make sure they check EVERYTHING including the earth connection. If not and they start to mention "it was not us..." mention this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope you dont mind me bringing this topic back - but Autoglass have just doen exactly the same to mine (54 Reg Ghia 2.0 TDCI). Did cleaning/reattaching the earth behind the rear view mirror solve all the problems (remote and screen?)

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daniboy said:
Hope you dont mind me bringing this topic back - but Autoglass have just doen exactly the same to mine (54 Reg Ghia 2.0 TDCI). Did cleaning/reattaching the earth behind the rear view mirror solve all the problems (remote and screen?)

Cheers

Dan
Hi Dan,
This is what the chap did and all is now working very well.
What I do intend on doing is doing a "proper" job and ensure that it will not happen again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forewarned is forearmed from now on! They're coming back to sort it on Thursday so will keep fingers crossed. Chap on the phone did seem receptive to an earthing problem. We shall see.....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Daniboy said:
Forewarned is forearmed from now on! They're coming back to sort it on Thursday so will keep fingers crossed. Chap on the phone did seem receptive to an earthing problem. We shall see.....
And that's reception I got as well.
I don't think they are aware of where the earth connection is. They see the wire coming from inside and simply disconnect/reconnect from the screen.
If you look behind the internal lights at the front, you can see the wire and the bolt as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts