Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

time for a new set of tyres, I have an 05 Zetec with 16" alloys, any ideas on best tyre to use and what I should be paying ??

many thanks

Russell

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There are loads to choose from.Really it`s your choice.I have Avons on & find they are smooth,quiet,good in wet & dry.The best place I have found for tyres is
www.e-tyres.co.uk
You can see what tyre you want & the price,this includes coming out to you & fitting & taking old tyres away.They usually give 5% discount for 2 or more.I have used them & so have several members of my family & I`d recommend them to anyone
.Have a look.It`s well worth it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had Conti SportContact2 on my 2L TDCi at first, and they lasted 20-25k on the front & 40k on the rear. Now running Michelin Primacy HP, and the surviving front tyre has now done 22k and still has a fair way until end of life (another 2-3 mm) - and feel at least as good as the Contis in every other way.

There's something in the current AutoExpress or Autocar about ultra-cheap (Chinese) tyres of previously unheard of brands - may be worth checking out before you go for a bargain brand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great tip, thanks I've not seen them before.

am I right in thinking my tyres are 205 55 W 16" ?

Car is currently in the garage for new alternator....

thanks

Russell

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You are correct on the size,as for the Chinese cheapo tyres,forget it.Don`t even think about it.There are reports of them coming apart after some very low miles ie 500.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My advice is to either check the tyres yourself or get someone at one of the type fitters to do so. Around here they will have a look for free and give an honest assessment. Do not rely on the Ford garage. Worth also checking the wear is even on the tyres and if not get the tracking looked at.

As for tyres my policy has always been to go for reasonably priced branded tyres. I have had Michelin and Firestone and the car came with Goodyear. I am on my 3rd set on the front (I missed a tracking problem which causes uneven wear) but the rear tyres are still the same ones when I bought the car - now done 65K. First change on front was at 35K and just into the 3rd set.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well according to www.kwik-fit.comyou should have 205/55 V 16's

The V rating is up to 149mph,a W rating is up to 168mph (you can always add a faster speed, but NEVER a slower one)

I'm running Pirelli P5000's on mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts