Ford C-Max Forum banner

new focas MPG

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  patriot 
#1 ·
Hi fellow owners.

Had the Cmax 7 weeks now and am not happy with MPG. This thing drinks more than my
subaru did! I do 400+ miles a week and get the following result.

2008 1.6 C-max zetec : 33 mph
1998 2.0 subaru legacy non-turbo : 40 mpg

Do all C-max's drink this much ???

#6 ·
Rich Bee said:
I've a C-Max 1.8 which I regularly get 40mpg when I'm driving, but when my wife drives it she gets 32-33, which I'm continually picking her out on 'cause of the way she drives. Maybe you need to modify your driving style a bit too ....

did advanced driving in forces so know how to drive for max mpg.
but this doesn't work in tha C-max

#7 ·
At a mere 66kW and 150Nm torque for the 1.6 as opposed to 92kW and 165Nm for the 1.8, I don't consider that the 1.6 has enough grunt to pull the heavy C-Max's body around, and probably also goes a long way to explaining why the 1.8 petrolhas much better fuel economy than the 1.6.
I did however have a 1.6 petrol C-Max as a rental car a couple of months back, and between Chippenham & Bristol airport and back I averaged just under 40mpg, butthat was also at 6am outbound and 11pm return, so didn't have to contend with normal town traffic.

#13 ·
I've a 2004 1.8 petrol and I have to agree the consumption is absolute pants, I drive mega economically - (60 on motorways, clutch in down hills etc) and am lucky to get 35 ave, the wife drives and we are lucky to get 30. I have drive from Exeter to Bournemouth real easy and got 45mpg but that was driving like a granddad! The problem is the Zetec engine is i) overrated, ii) completely choked, iii) generally rubbish compared to the compitition because Ford has no reason to change it as it has the market share! Also the C-Max is a hefty beast, look at the chassis design and see how it achieves its strength. If you want to improve your mpg try removing the cat converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.