Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much an EGR valve costs?
Mines sticking and rather than take the old one out,clean it & then have it stick again in a few months,I`m going to fit a new one as it will be less hassle in the long run.
MM

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've seen prices in other "areas" quoted as £160 - £180 mark though unsure if thats with a discount (don't think it is).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,thanks for that,I`ll ring around in the morning.I`ve also been onto patsgateway to see what price they come up with,so I`ll let you know 2morrow when i get quotes in.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got onto partsgateway & several other sites & none came back with anything.I rang chambers of Sutton & was quoted £155.56 +vat.I then rang my local independant garage & asked for a quote on supplying & fitting an EGR.They came back with £260 inc vat.I worked out that for ford to do the same jog would be about double so I booked it in for this morning,I duly dropped it off & was told it would be ready in 3 hrs.They rang at 10.30 to say they CAN`T do it as once the valve is replaced,the car has to be reprogrammed & they don`t have the equipment.So,I got there & they were really sorry they could not do the work & it was just something else the manufacturers were doing to stop independants getting work.The mechanic showed me the new egr valve with the ford warning sticker on it.Anyway,they did not charge me for anything I`ve told them I`d see them when the next service & mot is due (that put the smile back on his face).
I have now rung up Heartlands Tamworth & it`s booked in for the morning & a hefty bill (no doubt).
One thing that did make me smile,while I was at the garage,the egr valve & the recipt from chambers was on the desk & I couldn`t help seeing that the price to the garage for the valve was £21 more than I was quoted & that was before vat.There were no dicounts marked up,just basic price,vat & delivery of £1.55,yep,ford charged them for delivering them a part.
I`ll let you know the full cost when I get the car back.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the car there at 8.10 & handed them the keys with them saying "It`ll be ready by 10.30am Brilliant I thought.Bang on 10.30 "Hello,Richard at Heartlands here,who told you it was the egr valve,you do know it`s not a cheap job,as it was only booked in this week we don`t have the part but it is on it`s way from another branch". So I told him the problen & yes a reputible garage had diagnosed it and yes I did know it would cost just over £300. " the valve alone is £185 +vat +£33 surcharge",Ah I says I spoke to chambers in Sutton & was quoted £155.56 +vat & no surcharge, "Oh yes that`s correct total price for everything will be £309,thats £155.56 for the valve £2 for the gasket + vat + 1 1/2 hrs labour". And thats what I paid.If they had ordered the part it would have been 10.30.
They are not too bad a garage as main dealers go so I give the 4 out of 5
MM

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
So far I've had no major problems with Erdington either but it does help if you know just what they think they are supposed to be doing

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had the engine management light come on in my car last week.

I have took it to ford and The EGR valve has gone on my car aswell.

my car is booked into ford to have it changed on tuesday.

I was told that this is a 3 hr job and a nightmare to do.

I asked if I had to take it to ford to do and the guy at ford replied NO as it is just a case of changing the old part for the new one.

He told me the car does not need reprogramming at all as that is what I was worried about.

I will have to pay £250 when it is done that includes part and fitting.

This is at a discounted price as I think my local dealer feels sorry for me as they know the issues i keep having.

I will drop it off on tuesday morning broken. I then will pick it up tuesday afternoon hopefully fixed. I then will be £250 lighter and just wait for the next thing to break on the car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Oh mine is petrol not diesal so I dont know if a diesal does need programming but I was told my car wont.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I;ve just looked at the TIS disc (303-08D) for the 2L Duratorq and there is no mention of any programming on refitting there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts