Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just joined the forum. Loads of useful info. Thanks to all contributers.
Just bought a 1.6tdci zetec 04 with 57K miles. So far covered about 300 miles. A few problems. Going back to dealer tomorrow.
Fuel consumption was only high 30s to begin with. Checked the air filter. It was pretty dirty and had a black circle where it feeds in.Turned it around temporarily as I have ordered a K&N replacement. Reset the mileage screen on the computer. Just averaged 51 going to Newcastle and back. Result!!
Also had the red light and system error message. I noticed a lot of oily deposits around the turbo when I bought it, so I cleaned all around this area, including the intercooler pipe. Just got back from our trip today and checked the engine bay again. There is a visible crack on the intercooler pipe next to the mounting bracket which is leaking thesooty deposits, hence the warning light. I will be ringing the selling garage tomorrow to ask for a repair. Does anyone know if the pipe can be welded or does it need a new one?
Thanks in advance.
All in all I love the car. It is so comfortable and roomy. Will let you know how I get on
Cheers
Ian.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi Ian and welcome.

Unsure of the pipe, but seeing as you have just bought it, get them to replace it. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Just had intercooler pipe replaced by dealer. Excellent service. Very helpful. The new pipe is a smaller diameter (I think they were modified in 2005) and came with new hoses each end. Garage fitted it while I waited,
Replaced the filetr with K&N. Pulls very well now. No undue smoke. Just averaged 62 MPG coming home, mainly dual carriageway.
Vey happy with the C-Max now. Just need some mudflaps and sill protectors together with an air con re gas and I am sorted.
Cheers
Ian.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update
Had the air con regassed at quikfit for £45. Big difference. Sorted small patch of rust on lower front wings where mudflaps would mount, and at front of sill both sides. Fitted mudflaps and changed oil/filter. Averaging 63mpg on mainly dual carriageway 55 - 65 mph. Only negative comment is how awkward it is to refit the top of the oil filter housing when renewing the element. Is there a knack? Otherwise over the moon with the car. Will need 2 new front tyres next month. Pirelli P6000 on the back. Anyone got any experience on tyre wear if I bought a matching pair for the front?
Thnaks to everyone who has written in. I have picked uploads of useful info. Just thought I would share some positives for any prospective new owners
Cheers
Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts