Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.
I have a 2008 1.6 C-Max and recently on occasions when I pull away or change gear not completely smoothly with the clutch I get a single metallic contact/bang sound which seems like it is under the front seats. Past experience on other cars has led me to believe this may be a loose/broken bracket on the exhaust system.

I'm in no way an expert (or even amateur) mechanic but have poked around the exhaust with a screwdriver and it seems to be fairly rigid. However I did come across this item in the photos which looks like it should be supporting the exhaust at the front where it rises up to the engine but is just loose and moves freely around if I push it with the screwdriver. I have taken a picture after I have pushed it away from the exhaust and then when I have pushed it back up.

So I had a few questions I needed help with please:
  1. Is this an exhaust bracket/support?
  2. Should it be attached to the exhaust, it looks like maybe it should be welded to it looking at the marks on the exhaust which seem to align to the prongs on the bracket?
  3. If so what is the proper remedy for this? Would it need a new section of the exhaust with the bracket welded in place?
  4. If so then is there a workaround I can use to save replacing the exhaust just for a broken/detached bracket? For example could I use something like strong metal wire or a jubilee clip to clamp the prongs of the bracket back to the exhaust taking the place of the weld?
Thanks in advance for any advice. As I say, I'm not really into fixing cars but I'm generally handy with tools and I'm all for saving a potentially expensive trip to the garage that costs more than the car is worth.

Automotive tire Jaw Art Automotive design Tints and shades

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Eyelash Auto part Metal

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Rangdo,
I'm not that familiar with the layout underneath a Mk1 - but from your photos, it does appear that the bracket has come away from the exhaust. Doesn't look that much of a big deal. Can you get with someone with welding gear? Make sure to take all the precautions for welding on a vehicle to protect the electrical systems ( minimum - disconnect the battery - your welder will know more I guess) and make sure he/she doesn't weld a hole in the pipe.
Let us know how you get on

1 - 2 of 2 Posts