Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie on here as I haven't had any problems in 4 years ownership.
Car is an ex-motability 2013 Cmax 2,0 diesel usually used for longer journeys and towing a caravan overseas, now 70k miles, gearbox oil just changed again, not cheap but IMO worth it.
So in lockdown we are just doing short journeys, under 3 miles to go to a quiet wood to walk our dog.
Today came home and engine cooling fan running, temp normal and smell of hot engine. No warning lights and belt looks OK, I guess the regeneration had started? So looked online and some sites talk about manual regeneration but I cannot see how to do this is it possible? If not it looks like I need to go for a drive, will lock in lower gear to keep revs up. Is there any indication on when the process is finished?
Thanks in advance. By the way it was easy to fit a removable tow bar and spring assisters, no special tools, when I bought it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.
I'm the owner of a C-MAX 1.6tdci from '08 and the first owner.
The best car I have ever had.
Anyways, the regeneration process can be manually controlled using ForScan and a OBD2 interface tool.
Normally this shouldn't be of any concern.
The engine has a special sound/noise when regeneration is started. Sort of a low bass note, that's how I will describe it. When that's heard, regen is on.
I have had best results pulling up hill with medium throttle, the exhaust temperature is increasing to above +600°C and if kept there for a couple of minutes, regen finished with an ok result.
I'm using Torque Pro on Android and a China built OBD2 to Bluetooth. That way I can keep up with engine information during my driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your constructive reply. I have never noticed the car regenerating in the past but will put the radio off and listen next time we go for a longer drive. I agree the car is great and does everything we ask well.
But it is important to change the gear box oil regularly and that is not a DIY job.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for your constructive reply. I have never noticed the car regenerating in the past but will put the radio off and listen next time we go for a longer drive. I agree the car is great and does everything we ask well.
But it is important to change the gear box oil regularly and that is not a DIY job.
You are referring to the Powershift presumably? Mine needs its second change as soon as permitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I think later models use a different gearbox so not so critical. My car has nearly 70k and the oil was last changed when I bought it at 20k.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think the recommendation is every 3 years or 40k. Mine is due its second change but I'm only on 41k. The last CMax;s had a different auto I think. Unfortunately the CMax is now discontinued and replaced by the Focus Active.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts