Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Grand C-Max is fitted with low profile tyres and I do not like the harsh ride they produce, especially on our poorly maintained roads. Does anyone know the possibility/consequences of fitting different wheels with more rubber on the tyres?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Grand comes with a range of tyre sizes. You could fit the 16" alloys with higher profile tyres (215/55/16). You never know, someone on this forum may swap with you. If you keep to the factory fit alloys you may not need to tell your insurance company but that would be your lookout.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 Grand C-Max is fitted with low profile tyres and I do not like the harsh ride they produce, especially on our poorly maintained roads. Does anyone know the possibility/consequences of fitting different wheels with more rubber on the tyres?

I have a 2011 Grand C Max Titanium, it has the standard 16 inch wheels with 205 width tyres, nice ride as standard and grip.
I also have a set of 17 inch wheels with 215 width tyres and a lower profile, that offer a firmer ride, which is bearable but more grip.
I have also had 18 inch wheels which were unusable for normal B road driving and super grippy.

So long as you stick to what the manufacturer suggests with tyre sizes you should be ok.

Use the sticker on the drivers door B pillar for sizing. 16 inch tyres are also the cheapest!

Also check if you have extra load tyres or not, they have stronger sidewalls and les flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
People don't realise is the bumpy ride also comes from increased unsprung mass due to larger heavier wheels .

The dampers have to work harder and are less quick and less accurate in their damping .

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I believe the 16" wheels on the Grand Titanium should have 215 tyres not 205. Someone may have fitted the cheaper tyre at some point. I think the Zetecs sometimes have 205s.

But there seems to be lots of confusion over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those fitted on mine are 235s on 18" wheels. Look smart, but unless the road is super smooth they give a harsh ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the 16" wheels on the Grand Titanium should have 215 tyres not 205. Someone may have fitted the cheaper tyre at some point. I think the Zetecs sometimes have 205s.

But there seems to be lots of confusion over it.

The 16's can have 205 or 215 according to Ford, the 17's are 215 I believe.
The trouble with 18's is you are meant to put restrictors on the steering rack to prevent damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My understanding (which is probably wrong) is that the Titanium 16" alloys take the 215 tyres. Grand's generally have 215s but standard C-Max can be 215 or 205. If you look at that wheel on eBay it is almost always listed with a 215 tyre even for the Focus.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
also the larger rims/tyres affect the mpg so it really is a compromise what you are after for me ride comfort is every thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts