·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 1.6 tdci lx

Plenty roof for 2 adults, 2 kids & the dog in the boot

Dislikes:
Alternator failed
Disappointing fuel economy - if this can't be rectified by process of elimination soon then I will probably swap the car for something else.
2 remote fobs died within the space of 10 days!
Poor audio quality when playing CDs in the Ford 6000cd stereo.
Electrical interference on AM radio.

However the most irritating thing is that the rear seat belts continually come free from the plastic guide brackets behind the top of the seats!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Over all i like our 1.6 vetec a few dislikes are ,
road noise inside car
i dont think the seats are very comfortable
no one toutch window wind up facility

·
Registered
19 Posts
The car is good to drive and easy to own apart from low speed fuel or throttle control. Its a 1.8 TDCI Zetec. At really low speed pressing the throttle can suddenly accelerate the car. If you lift of the car kangaroos. Is this the same with others 1.8's. I have heard that it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cmax 04 1.6 TDCI Zetec
(Lower) Car Tax Not the £190 I was paying for my mondeo.

Dislikes:
Uncomfortable chairs
Poor fuel economy (unless driving at approximatly 95 MPH, then its good!) averages 25mpg on most local journeys
Silly boot mechanism that now requires a replacement switch as can only open with key or fob.

Overall Im disapointed with it, looked like a good buy at the time, and im probably going to be stuck with it now for a few years. I wouldnt buy another one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Leigh, you must have somthing wrong with yours if you are only getting 25mpg from a 1.6 diesel, have you had it looked at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sierragls, No I havnt as yet as when I do motorway journeys I can get (65MPG) if I travel at about 95MPH (If I reset it before I start)
I assumed it was just because of really small local journeys which is the majority of what I do.
I dont have alot of faith in the whole mpg reading though I have to admit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Leigh
Apart from the obvious of driving at 95mph! if your getting 65MPG at that speed your doing very well. The computer readout is only a guide according to Ford but there is some accuracy in it. I have a 1.8 TDCI and get my best MPG at 70MPH or less.When I get up to 80+ the consumption rises dramatically. At the moment the car averages about 50 MPG during all driving and can give 30 MPG when pulling a caravan of 85% of the cars kirbweight.

I suggest you get the car chacked or have a look at your driving style.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Leigh, i have found on my 2.0 that the mpg reading is quite accurate, usually within 1-2mpg either way, but i dont think that they are as accurate if you are doing very short journeys, you really need to work it out with a calculator to see what you are truly getting, what sort of miles do you get from a tank, if you are only getting 25mpg then you wouldnt be able to get an more than about 250-275 miles from a full tank as i think that they hold 50 litres (11 gallons)

·
Registered
8 Posts
@sierragls I dont fill it up very often, normally only put £30 of Diesel in it, and will use the car (or not use it) to make it last 2 weeks. On the odd occasion Ive filled it up for routine journeys Ive had just over 300 Miles before needing to fill it again)

A couple of Months ago I went down to the coast (And car was full with heavy diving equipment) I managed to get 550+ Miles out of the tank. But that was motorways and Gunned it a bit on the way back. (Although on the way there motorway grinded to hault several times.. so would have lost consumption while idling)

@Brian, I have totally adjusted my driving style, infact I drive more like a "stereo typical Grandad" since having this car, as Ive got it constantly on the MPG reading trying my best to "knotch it up"

As I say this car seems great on long motorway journeys (apart from the uncomfortable seats!)
but pritty pants, on local ones.

Was always keen to have a diesel as was always lead to beleive you get more miles!, and have to admit I dont know alot about cars, I just drive them. Im not sure if its just my ford diesel that is a dog, or Diesels in general.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Leigh
If you pay £1.00 a litre £30 over 300 miles equates to close on 43 MPG. If its mainly town or short distance driving thats not to bad. By the way the fuel tank holds 55 litres and a total of 550 miles on a tank is pretty good. Heavy accelaration from standstill and heavy braking will use an awful lot of fuel, as too will changing gear at low revs (below 1500rpm and the turbo not fully working) and continuing to accelarate hard. Once the turbo is working at speed half throttle will give almost the same accelaration as full throttle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nono Brian, Im not getting 300 miles on £30 I meant I got over 300 miles on the odd occasion I filled it up.
Will have a look at the mileage tomorrow as I should be using the car and its on fumes again.
I do need to work it out on a calculator I think, perhaps the computer reading is just nonsense. I wouldnt be suprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update Brian I put £30 in again today.
Checked receipt for last time I put diesel in. Diesel was £1.05
And I done 246 Miles. Cant say what the computer estimated for mileage left as it was saying 0 miles to empty. which according to my rough calculations (And I have probably got it wrong) is arround 39MPG and the computer reads 25MPG. So I suppose it isnt as bad as I thought it was. but does prove the computer is nonsense.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My C-Max is a Zetec 1.6 TDCI 90bhp

Good spec (original owner specced it up)
Nice quiet diesel engine
Nice drive (drive like a grandad now)

Dislikes: No Spare tyre!
Not as quick as the last car coming from 170bhp to 90bhp (remap soon)
Headlight Bulb change!

Davy
Edited by: twisterboy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to add to this, even though i have only had my c-max a few days:

Its a 54, 1.6 TDCI Zetec (109)

Comfort
Fuel economy
Insurance is cheap (group 5)

Dislikes:
No foot rest next to the clutch
It Doesn't like sitting around 1750 - 2000 rpm in 5th
Tiny spare tyre
only one light in boot (fussy i know)

·
Registered
68 Posts
1.8 TDci

Likes...

Loads of space with the rear seat taken out.

Dislikes....
No very impressivefuel consumption
Clutch / Throttle balance:- it's a sod to drive in slow traffic
Stalls a lot
Cant have the driver's seat raised up high enough because it moves forward as well as up reducing the legroom
Clock has a mind of it's own. Keeps reverting back to approx 5 minutes behind real time
Loads of body roll
Eats front tires (Tracking checked every 3 months!)

Another good point, Ford say "There's Nothing Wrong With The Car, All CMAX are Like That"

·
Registered
19 Posts
1.8 TDCi 2008

Hi Wiggy
Had the same problem with low speed driving and apparently its very common on the 1.8 Focus and C-Max but not on the 1.8 S-Max. Put my C-Max in for its first service and complained to the Garage. They looked on the Ford website and found a 'Download' for the throttle control electronics and it seems to have all but removed the problem. Cant sday I have had your other problems. Rechipped mine imediately after purchase and power andeconomy improved. I reckon I get 50MPGon avarage in town and country driving and I.m not a particularly slow driver.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Just got to read this line
Leigh - I agree with your maths at 39

Our 54 plate 1.6TDCI will quite happily just roll along at just over 30 in 5th effectively with throttle shut and certainly is quite happy at 1200 - 1500 RPM. I had around 25,000 miles(the best part of 2 years) out of the front tyresand that was without any tracking checking

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd have thought the fact you're eating front tyres and getting poor fuel consumption are related. Compare to other members on here - chances are you just have a heavy foot.

As for stalls alot - it doesn't if you have good clutch control. I learned to drive on a C-max and liked the clutch over other cars I drove as it provided some level of feedback.

Tracking will only get rid of uneven wear - not wear all together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1.8lx 2004

comfortable
flexible
reliable (so far)
better on fuel then my mk1 1.8 focus

dislikes

the steering is really light on anything other then town driving
no the best specced (but I couldn't pass it by for the price i paid)

I miss my heated windscreen :-(

1 - 20 of 75 Posts