Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a knocking noise when I pull off in 1st and it carry’s on to second gear. It’s manly if I try to accelerate hard in first and second and sometimes 3rd. The grears don’t seem to slip the car has done 75k miles and I only bought the car 2 months ago.
I have changed the drivers side drive shaft, all the oils are clean it’s a bit sluggish in thierd gear but gets their.
has anyone any ideas what the noise could be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're sure it's not the inboard (tripod) joint of the nearside drive shaft ? - I would think that you could tell which side is making the noise .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're sure it's not the inboard (tripod) joint of the nearside drive shaft ? - I would think that you could tell which side is making the noise .
The noise seems to come from around the centre concel (left of the peddle box)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a 56 plate 2lt petrol which made a regular knock knock sound - which increased in intensity with acceleration. I strongly suspected an inboard drive shaft joint - I never got to the bottom of the problem, as I sold the car. There are two types of joint on each shaft - the outside ball and cage - which makes knocks on full lock, and the inner tripod which makes a noise with steeering straight ahead. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to have the thing off and apart.
I guess you could try to make the distinction between a regular knock knocking, and a more random rattley knocking noise - which (hopefully for you) could be that old favourite - the knackered droplink. Be interested to know how you get on, and just remember that this opinion is coming to you from a fellow C-max owner and not a professional mechanic

·
Registered
470 Posts
I get a knocking noise when I pull off in 1st and it carry’s on to second gear. It’s manly if I try to accelerate hard in first and second and sometimes 3rd. The grears don’t seem to slip the car has done 75k miles and I only bought the car 2 months ago.
I have changed the drivers side drive shaft, all the oils are clean it’s a bit sluggish in thierd gear but gets their.
I had a 56 plate 2lt petrol which made a regular knock knock sound - which increased in intensity with acceleration. I strongly suspected an inboard drive shaft joint - I never got to the bottom of the problem, as I sold the car. There are two types of joint on each shaft - the outside ball and cage - which makes knocks on full lock, and the inner tripod which makes a noise with steeering straight ahead. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to have the thing off and apart.
I guess you could try to make the distinction between a regular knock knocking, and a more random rattley knocking noise - which (hopefully for you) could be that old favourite - the knackered droplink. Be interested to know how you get on, and just remember that this opinion is coming to you from a fellow C-max owner and not a professional mechanic
Have you checked your rear engine mounting?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have you checked your rear engine mounting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts