Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just typical. My car is out of warranty by a week or so, and it's suddenly developed a major fault.

It's an 06 reg 1.8TDCi. I love the car and it hasn't given me any engine trouble in the three years I've owned it from new. Recently it had its third service and MOT, which it passed easily. I always use premium diesel fuel too.

Then the other day it started hesitating. I thought I'd mis-changed gears, but it did it a few times. Then it started displaying 'Engine System Fault' on the dash, so I took it to the dealer. On the way to the dealer it cut out for the first time. The problem was getting worse.

They diagnosed a faulty crankcase sensor, which with labour came to around £200. I drove the car out of the garage, and 5 minutes down the road the fault re-occurred!

Needless to say I was not happy, and took the car back to the dealer (the car cut-out again), and asked for a refund, which they refused because they said the work was valid. If it were valid how come it didn't fix the problem?!
They said they'd taken it for a test drive, but it couldn't have been a very thorough one.

It took their technician out for a drive, and the car faulted several times just getting out of the car park!

I'm trying to get a goodwill contribution to the repair costs from Ford, but I don't hold much hope. The dealer supervisor did say they'd push my case with Ford.

I'm now waiting to see what happens. The car seems to drive fine when it's not displaying the fault, so I'm hoping it is a sensor issue rather than something even more expensive.

The irony is that the dealer I purchased the car from registered the car two weeks before I bought it. The warranty runs from the day of registration, not purchase/delivery, so effectively I've been conned out of two weeks warranty, which would not normally make much difference, but in this case it has. Unfortunately the original dealer went out of business, and the new dealer just took over their customer database - they have no liability from the earlier dealer's sales.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can you get them to tell you what the fault code is. Dont forget people with epb get a warning about epb failure when the alternator goes and its nothing to do with the epb. Could be sticking egr valve but god knows what error code that throws up

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just spoken with the technician responsible. It looks like a wiring problem - probably a dodgy connector somewhere, but it's got them completely stumped at the moment. They've got the 'field technician' on it. I think he's a guy from Ford or their head office who actually knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the garage checked over the wiring and after that couldn't reproduce the fault. I gave them permission to test drive it for a couple of days and they still couldn't reproduce it.

I suppose it could have been a dodgy connection which may have got fixed if they were unplugging and re-plugging connectors to test the wiring.

I'm collecting it tomorrow, so wish me luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts