Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had a good hunt around on various forums, but I can't find an answer to my exact problem.

For the past 6 months, the battery warning light has been going on and off, seemingly at random, when out driving.I have taken it to a trustworthy garage, and even paid for an electrician to try and diagnose the problem. Obviously, the battery warning light remained off throughout that check. (My car is playing with my mind.)

I bought a cigarette lighter voltage tester, and this suggests that when the warning light is off, the voltage from the battery varies between 11.9v and 15.4v. I think this may be normal Smart Charge range. When the battery warning light comes on, the voltage stays at a pretty rock solid 13.6v. (This is not absolutely true, occasionally the light comes on and the voltage range behaves exactly as it does with the light off, but this only happens when the light comes on for under one minute.)

So my garage can't help, and the owner reluctantly suggested that I should get a Ford dealer to take a look (he looks after me and hates involving Ford themselves because of the charges they make.)

I guess my other question is, does this matter? The car behaves and drives normally. No loss of drive, power, audio, aircon. No spikes that makes things flicker.

If anyone else has come across this I would be grateful for your experience.

Ta, Neil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Id have your alternator checked out sounds like either your belts slipping or the rectifier circuit is on its way out( small circuit board that converts ac current to dc) 11.9v to 15.4v is a massive diffrence alternator should charge at a constant 14.4v-14.8v.when running engine

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
It’s called ‘Irony’!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts