Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've a second-hand06 Cmax, 2.0TDCi Ghia, but am having a nightmare getting insurance. Why? The car has various factory fitted items such as parking sensors and tinted rear windows (and internal extras such as the Sony stereo, voice control, leather, electic and heated seats). Not every Ghia has these and thus as far as I am aware, these are non-standard items that the original owner requested when the car was ordered. When I tell the insurance companies this, they class the car as 'modified' - hence all the insurance problems. However, these extras seem pretty common on Cmax's (although not on all Ghias), and I can't believe everyone is having the same problems as me.

Thus my question is: are these really factory fitted extras, or have I some sort of 'special edition' of the Ghia that has more extras fitted as standard (and thus I have a standard car, rather than a modified car)? I hope that makes sense!
Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I realise that it is a 2006 rather than a current "new" vehicle

Have you got a tame, bored and not very busy salesman at your local ford dealer who might be willing to see if it were possible to order a current vehicle with all the extras you have so that they may be able to produce you a quote in order that this could be copied to your insurance to show that it may have been possible to order this as a factory build and that it was not a subsequent modification

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd say that your car is factory standard ie the way it left the factory - so no need to tell your insurance about any modifications - as there aren't any. Think about it this way - some high end car manufacturers have lots of choices of stereo, wheels, sat nav, seats, parking sensors, electric rear windowsetc etc. As long as it's not modified after the factory then it's factory standard. BTW the rear tints and stereo were standard on the ghia AFAIK, the leather was a poular option.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hi Krish101
if i were you i would change your insurance(hope its not direct line)company is the advice from my wife who is an insurance broker also you could try and find a options list for your car on here or from ford to prove that these itemscan befactory fitted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
they are so fussy on who theygive insurance too. you are always better to go through a broker (and no the wife does not need any more work thanks) but as with all things now try one of the compare web sites as we got acheaper quote from them,but always phone the company you choose to make sure the price is right ,when we did the insurance went up by £10 because we carry kids but they where still the cheapest. just make sure you check with them or you may find you are not covered if you make a claim as the compare web site formsdo not have as many questions on them comparedto if you phone any of the insurance companys or brokers. hope this helpws

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the comments, guys.

I should emphaise that:
-To each company I stated that the items (it is specifically the parking sensors and tints that they are interested in) were non-standard, but factory fitted.
-I have spent considerable time phoning dozens of campanies and they all gave a similar response (except Norwich Union - see below)

All of the companies stated that if the items were non-standard, whether factory fitted or not, then it was classed as 'modified'. The only exception to this was Norwich Union who consider that factory fitted does not count as modified. Thus, NU were the only company who gave me a quote that wasn't crazy, but I am relying on a single quote and suspect that I could considerably reduce this if I could show that the features were standard on some sort of 'special edition' of Ghia. I am thus particularly interested in the Ghia AFAIK, which I've never heard of. Equally, if Postie's wife will offer me a non-modified quote, then I'm all ears!

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
122 Posts
hi Krish101
its the tints that are your main problem. she will have a look in the insurance buyer's guide(available to brokers only)as shedoes commercial insurance only.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If the car was delivered from the dealer with these original Ford add ons then the car is as supplied and not modified.
Should you, for example, add new alloy wheels then the car has been altered and the insurance company advised.

My car has leather heated seats, alloy wheels, parking sensors, dvd player etc and these are standard extras from Ford.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hadthe sameproblem with my C-Max Titanium which has the factory fitted Sports X pack when I bought it second hand. My insurers at the time Privilege ramped up my premium as a result of the extras telling me it was more desirable than my bigger engined Mondeo.

I then struggled for on-line quotes when renewing last month as many of them seem to take you into over complicated modifications screens designed for rally drivers and boy racers.

As I see it the car is as factorymade -goodness knows how they cope withBMWsand the like which are low spec and you add on all the extras! In the end Direct Line (part of the same group as Privilege) came though for me at a similar price to what I paid on my Mondeo last year without being silly about the Sports X pack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
been with my insurence company ten years full no claims no points but just had this years quote which was over £500
rang them up to find out what the hell for???? no explanation at all. tryied go compare.com got over £250 off my insurence..they only asked for reg(my car has all bell and whistles) on it from factory but they wernt botherd my advice is find another insurance comp well woth it then dump your insurance

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Try Adrian Flux.I`ve been with them for 16 yrs & they are exellent.You get to speak to "real" people who know what they are talking about.
The othet thing with them is that if this club was `official` ie properly registered & all members had membership numbers on an official club list,then all members could get a club discount.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kris,
I have a 2006 2 litre Ghia, and brought it through a dealer who had specced it up to have the leather seats, Sony 6 disc changer with voice activated bluetooth kit, privacy glass, and parking sensors and I got my insurance through Privilege without any problem.

Like you, I listed everything the car had fitted because in case of an accident I didn't want to give them an excuse to invalidate the insurance.

Have you tried the comparison sites like www.confused.com because they let you list all the options aswell.

I would always say they are "options" even though they have been fitted by the factory because they are not "standard" items.

Oh and I pay just under £300 for a joint policy (with the wife) with 7+ NCD.

Good luck....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Also don't forget the cashback sites as these will make the insurance cheaper as well.
topcashback.co.uk and quidco.com are two sites that I use alot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the comments. As someone pointed out, I'd rather be completely up front with the insurers, rather than give them any excuse not to pay out. A couple of people recommended the comparison sites - I had tried them and they generally come back with a message saying that everyone had refused me. I'll try again this year. Privilege was also mentioned a couple of times - I'll give them a go.

Cheers guys,
Kris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts