Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation where the front O/S and rear N/S are brakes on my "65" plate 2.0 litre TDCI C-Max are not releasing. The diagonal pair (front N/S, rear O/S) are fine.
At first I thought it might be because the car has stood idle for long periods during the current pandemic causing these two brakes to seize up, but release the bleed nipple adjacent to each brake and the pads then clear the discs perfectly well.
Clearly the hydraulic pressure in the brake line is not clearing when you release the brake pedal, so does this suggest that the master cylinder is playing up (since I understand this comprises two hydraulic circuits, each operating diagonally opposite wheels), or is it a fault with the ABS module, or is it something else?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would guess the abs module is your culprit. Horridly expensive to replace, can you unplug the abs module and test run or will it not allow that? Adam cmax is your man for a 2nd hand unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't know much about ABS module in relationship to this - wouldn't like to comment.But try the mechanical option first, and make sure you're sure it's not just sticking calipers (bearing in mind your vehicle's been standing ) . Try getting a pry bar in there and careful wiggling action.
Replacing calipers is a straightforward job . Maybe a little less straightforward if you have an electric handbrake .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a situation where the front O/S and rear N/S are brakes on my "65" plate 2.0 litre TDCI C-Max are not releasing. The diagonal pair (front N/S, rear O/S) are fine.
At first I thought it might be because the car has stood idle for long periods during the current pandemic causing these two brakes to seize up, but release the bleed nipple adjacent to each brake and the pads then clear the discs perfectly well.
Clearly the hydraulic pressure in the brake line is not clearing when you release the brake pedal, so does this suggest that the master cylinder is playing up (since I understand this comprises two hydraulic circuits, each operating diagonally opposite wheels), or is it a fault with the ABS module, or is it something else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would guess the abs module is your culprit. Horridly expensive to replace, can you unplug the abs module and test run or will it not allow that? Adam cmax is your man for a 2nd hand unit.
thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know much about ABS module in relationship to this - wouldn't like to comment.But try the mechanical option first, and make sure you're sure it's not just sticking calipers (bearing in mind your vehicle's been standing ) . Try getting a pry bar in there and careful wiggling action.
Replacing calipers is a straightforward job . Maybe a little less straightforward if you have an electric handbrake .
Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've just re-read your initial post, and what you say about opening the bleed nipples - sorry, I wasn't paying attention - this does look like a more technical problem than sticking calipers. Diagnostics ( about which I know v little and so will keep quiet) should show the cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your comments on this issue.
Have ended up going to a Ford main dealer (and having a chat with my bank manager!) who have diagnosed ABS pump and module failure. As they say: "It is what it is."

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well Paul with the module being faulty its time to grit your teeth I guess. Did you try the 2nd hand route at all? Control units do a repair & fit service for £300 so thats little money in Fraud main dealer circles. Or if you are competent to work on the car yourself they will repair and return your unit in 1 day for £185 (prices + vat & shipping) No recoding needed after repair. Ford C MAX II | ABS-ESP Pump & ECU | Controlunits – ABS pump & ecu repair

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much did you pay for that repair? I am having a similar issue right now, and I am afraid that it could be worse. At first sight, I also thought about the abs module, instantly. However, I actually think that it is a bit worse in my case, as there is also a terrible noise on both front-breaking systems. Although I am not even driving the car, I will bring it to the local dealer and see what they tell me, hope I would have to pay more than 1000 bucks. I have read some interesting information on cararac.com/, they are saying that it also might be an issue with the breaking oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts