Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My alternator has packed in today, can anyone give advice on the procedure for changing it?
Are any special tools required to tension the belt etc?
I have an 04 2.0TDCI.
Cheers
Frank

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I took the easy option & got it done by a mobile mechanic for £70.
I know at least one person on here has done it & I think they posted the instructions.Have a trawl through past post in the Tech section and see what you come up with.
There`s also a good chance this will be read by one of them & you`ll get a reply from them too.
Good Luck.
MM

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
It must have been the day for alternators to pack up
Mine went as well. I didn't have the time available to do other than get it done. Hopefully as we type

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi ginger
you need to read this thread about 3rd item down is where my alt packed in and details of the special tool. Dont even think about trying to replace the alt without it or something similar. You can get the alt off but noway will you get it on. Any questions just ask as i`ve had 2 go so am getting quite good at replacing them
http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1591&KW=lazyb&PN=3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that mate.
I read further back in the topic and was intrigued with the slipper pully theory.
Does anyone know anything about this, could it be seized/repaired?

My alternator decided to work today, but yesterday it was whining and the battery light was on so a slipping maechanism would make sense as it seems intermittent.

I guess the battery light on the dash is extinguished if the voltage is above about 13.5V.

It is certainly the alternator as I measured the same voltage before and after starting the car yesterday.

I might attach my multimeter to the cigar lighter socket and see what happens whilst driving.

Hey ho, see if it decides to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The theory to the battery light is that it is between battery +ve and alternator +ve thus if these two voltages are the same there is no voltage diffrence across the lamp and it goes out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, thanks Richard.

My alternator was working ok today.
I don`t have any previous experiences of faulty alternators, is it usual for an alternator on its way out to work one day but not the next, intermitently?

My son was washing the car on Sunday evening, I caught him blasting water at close range through the radiator grill. Am now wondering if he had soaked the alternator.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
In our case it was working on part of the same journey home and not on on the rest of it perhaps no more than ¾ hour later. All I got out of the faults was that it wasn't charging

If you think where the alternator is and how it is constructed I think you'd probably have to put a high pressure jet directly on to it. The radiator fins themselves protect a lot of the engine from water ingress anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may sound simple but I have recently bought a 2007 focus c max 1.8 tdci. How do I remove the engine cover. I do not want to force it and can't see or feel any retaining clips. Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My alternator went at 28,000 miles and 4 months out of warranty, have contacted For customer service looking for help with cost, full ford history, 2006 2.0 TDCI Ghia, they called me after I wrote looking for a copy of the service record, no other probs, mpg incidentally depends on weight of right foot, everything from 36mpg to 54mpg, 38 ave. for town driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts