Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2.0 tdci 54 plate focus cmax but im not sure if it has a dpf fitted or not ??

is there anyway of telling please?

cheers
steve

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've got the same 2.0 TDCI Ghia and I have the DPF (which you may of read!).
I do not know of a quick way of finding out but if your not afraid of looking under the car then have a look at this diagram:

I should add that it is located at the rear driver side.Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I had another thought
I think all the 2.0L had the DPF. It was only the no Euro IV version of the 1.6 (mine included) that didn't

I'm less certain as to if all those with he DPF also had the "Add Bkue" canister that the diagram refers to

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have recently bought a Jan 04 53 reg 2.0 TDCi GHIA and have also been trying to determine whether it has DPF fitted (getting ready for cost of servicing this as car done 67K).

I have determined from the data on the Gov't Car Fuel data website at http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/index.asp that 2 versions of the 2.0 TDCi were sold, at least in 2003 & 2004. One is listed as a EuroIII with CO2 of 148, and one as EuroIV with CO2 of 154. The particulates for the EuroIII are higher suggesting that it doesn't have the DPF fitted.

A check of my registration document confirmed that my CO2 rating is 148, the lower of the two listings.

I understand from other sources that the DPF was a £300 option on early C-Max's, so some didn't take it up.

There are three upsides to this.
1. I don't have to worry about having the DPF recharged with the inherent costs that seem to go with this.
2. The vehicle tax band is lower (band F @ £120 instead of band G @ £150 for 09/10)
3. The quoted fuel consumption ratings are better for the non DPF equipped model, 62.8 mpg against 58.9 mpg for the ultra urban cycle (I know these are arbitrary, but every little helps).

Hope this information is useful.

Andy.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Andy
You have got your wire just slightly crossed with regard to the Diesel Particulate filter or DPF
This is a hot wire catalyst that burns off the soot particles that form. The item that is refilled is the "Adblue" tank that aids further emission reduction in reducing the emission of Nitrous Oxide or NOX. This is the expensive item
You should be able to determine with the help of Ford which emission level you've got from the relevent code on the VIN plate on the drivers door sill but I can't just remember what the letters are at the moment but there were several previous posts if you care to search

·
Registered
41 Posts
Richard,
So the second post in this topic from Lawe is also wrong, in showing the location of the 'adblue' tank location, not the DPF.

As the NOx value for the EuroIII spec vehicle is also higher than the Euro IV does this indicate that 'Adblue' is not fitted? Or was this fitted to all vehicles, regardless of DPF, and the higher NOx value is also due to not having DPF?

There is obviously some reason for all the values of the two variants being different.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not wrong at all, just that DPF is available in two forms, bothwhat Richard has added and DPF in liquid form, though this stuff is pink!
Have a look at this link and you will see why I am not wrong: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=21413
and I have copied a small section for quick reading.

Media.Ford.Com said:
Cologne , August 26, 2005 - Ford of Europe is making Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) systems available across the heart of its vehicle portfolio - including retro-fit systems for the majority of diesel-powered Ford vehicles already in customer's hands. New Ford Motorcraft retro-fit systems will be available to suit a wide range of older Ford models.

Ford already offers modern diesel particulate filter (DPF) systems on the new Ford Focus and Focus C-MAX models. A DPF is now standard equipment for Ford's Duratorq 1.6-litre 109 PS TDCi engine, and optional on the 2.0-litre 136 PS variant. These systems rely on the use of a liquid additive to enable diesel particulates to oxidise at relatively low temperatures in the filter.

To satisfy the heavy demand for these DPF-equipped models, particularly in Germany , Ford has increased production as a result of increased availability of DPF systems.

Ford of Europe will also continue to develop advanced DPF systems for its next generation Duratorq TDCi engines with higher torque and power outputs exceeding 110 kW (150 PS).
Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I've always understood that DPF's as a catalyst like unit came first and to meet the lower Euro III emission spec and that "Adblue" was added as an extra means of meeting Euro IV, V and the projected Euro VI.

From Wikipedia

AdBlue is the registered trademark for AUS32 (Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%) and is used in a process called selective catalytic reduction (SCR) to reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen from the exhaust of diesel vehicles. As the name AUS32 would suggest, it is a 32.5% solution of high-purity urea in demineralised water that is clear, non-toxic and is safe to handle. However, it can be corrosive for some metals and must be stored and transported with the correct materials. The AdBlue trademark is currently held by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), who ensure quality standards are maintained in accordance with DIN 70070 specifications.<SUP =reference id=cite_ref-DGMK_0-0>[1]</SUP>

AdBlue is carried onboard SCR-equipped trucks and buses in specially designed tanks and is dosed into the SCR system at a rate equivalent to 3-5% of diesel consumption. This low dosing rate ensures long refill periods and minimises the tank's impact on chassis space. On-highway SCR systems are currently in use throughout Europe, in Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, New Zealand and Singapore. The United States Environmental Protection Agency‎'s 2010 legislation will limit NOx to levels that will require North American trucks to be equipped with SCR post-2010.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yes, you are very correct about the DPF unit.
I think that the additive used by Ford and by other car makers (Peugeot is also a user of this additive so shopping around can help
) is known to Joe Public as DPF and not by the brand name "AdBlue". I belive they used the additive as a quick way to reduce the emissions, to a budget, until they developed a DPF unit that could be builtto fit our cars and of course without hiking the price skywards!

So where does this lead us?
I think the main question us owners need to ask is "Is the car fitted with a DPF additive tankor fitted with a "solid" DPF unit?"
I know which is fitted to mine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks to Richard G and Lawe, things are never as simple as they seem.

I've found the following in another thread (should have searched properly first I suppose)

Richard G said:
I'll post this again as it probably is relevent

Now look at the Vehicle cert label/VIN plate (right hand B-pillar) then read down the 8 fields on the left portion of the plate, at very bottom (8 down from top) - this box shows the Exhaust emission level code:

K &gt; Stage V
S &gt; 2000 EEC (Stage III)
V &gt; Stage IV + Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
7 &gt; Stage IV

If you read "7" your car is stage 4 without DPF and it must be 90 bhp.

if you read "V" your car is stage IV with a DPF then it must be 109 bhp.

if you read "S" its stage III, without a DPF and it must be 109 bhp
Although this was posted as proper to a 1.6 TDCi I have checked my VIN plate on a 2.0 TDCi and it has the 'S' value. Does this mean that it doesn't have DPF (of any type, Fluid or otherwise)?

Or am I throwing more confusion into this.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
That "S" is only for the 1.6, at the very least because of the power output figure that goes with it

From the TIS Disc for the 2.0L Diesel upto the 2003.75 MY though it doesn't give the CO2 figures
Engine code ³ G6DA ³ G6DB ³ G6DC ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Firing order ³ 1-3-4-2 ³ 1-3-4-2 ³ 1-3-4-2 ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Emission level ³ Stage III ³ Stage IV ³ Stage III ³
³ Bore ³ 85.0 mm ³ 85.0 mm ³ 85.0 mm ³
³ Stroke ³ 88.0 mm ³ 88.0 mm ³ 88.0 mm ³
³ Cubic capacity ³ 1998 cm (3) ³ 1998 cm (3) ³ 1998 cm (3) ³
³ Compression ratio ³ 18:1 ³ 18:1 ³ 18:1 ³
³ Power output at 4000 rpm ³ 100 kW (136 PS) ³ 100 kW (136 PS) ³ 98 kW (133 PS)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts