Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,just got my cmax yesterday.ghia 1.8 reg 05.
love the look and feel of the car & my kids love the space but took it for a spin tonight and when i put the heater on there was a horrible smell coming out of the vents, can anyone help? please.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think we've discovered that if the vehicle has been stood for any time then you need to get the heater fully hot and run it like that for a while to try to reduce the smell

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a go thanks,but the smell is so bad it smells like antifreeze going straight to the back of my throat.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hi & welcome,have you checked under the bonnet to see if there are any dead leaves wedged in anywhere?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Have you tried emptying the screen washer bottle & refilling with new.Sometimes you can get a nasty stagnent smell when you use the screem washers.Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Doesthe extent of the smell change if you use the fan and or the air conn (together or seperate)and different speeds and if you use the recirculated air as well

We might be able to eliminate various parts of the ducting / equipment

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you tried changing the pollen filter because that can make the heater smell if it's not been renewed for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the fan is on 1,2,3 or 4 and hot its really bad its the same if the air conn is on or off and the recirculated,its not to bad when its on cold.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took car back to the garage tonight the sales man said it could be a leaking pipe on the heater matrix.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I had just started thinking along the same possibly expensive lines after reading that it appeared to rule out changes to any other part of the system especially after having re-read your initial post that it smelt like anti -freeze

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes he said that theyll get it fixed but thinks its just a leaky pipe and if it is the heater matrix its not that tricky on this car(i think he is full of it,its a big job).

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is most likely to be a leaking heater matrix. It only needs a pin hole of a leak to soak into any sponge or packing witin the matrix shroud, when heated it stinks. Very unpleasant.
Good luck in getting this sorted. \winter coming

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello again got car back from garage,they say they have checked everything and could find no problems.Tonight took it for a run after 20mins the smell was back, my little doesnt feel to good could this be from the fumes still smells like antifreeze

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I take it,you are gonna take it back again.I would & insist a tech is with you on a short drive & make sure you get the full smell `going` before you get there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
car went back today,the manager wasnt to pleased when i gave him a letter saying that if the car is not sorted it 7days i will refuse the car and get a full refund.lets see what happens ill keep you informed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts