Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 TDCi EGR Valve gave up on me today. Called out the AA and they where brill on diagnosing the fault.
If you think your EGR valve is playing up here is a way to determine if it is that at fault,
First disconnect the silver pipe which connects to the plastic inlet manifold, you can do this by releasing the clip which goes round the pipe.
Get a rag and block the inlet valve and while you hold the rag get someone else to start the car and if you get exhaust gas come from the disconnected pipe and the car starts normally then you have just confirmed your valve is stuck open.
To over come the valve fault electrically disconnect the vale and the car will stat with no problems but you will get the Engine management light to come on as it is trying to operate the valve but it is disconnected.

I have just done all the above to my car and it ran like a dream, now its in the garge having the valve and pipe cleaned at a smaller cost than replacing the valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just used Wynns EGR cleaner and car seems to run better allready, will see how it goes as out of warrenty and ford want £80 just to investigate.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
On a petrolinjection unit if the EGR valve is stuck open at idle then the engine idles almost as though it were only running on 3 cylinders (very erratic)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I,ve had loss of power for a while with the engine managemenbt light on ,55 reg 1.6 tdc.Got the AA to diagnose and the friendly man found the code P1412 manufacturer specific.He couldn,t pin down the fault but looking around various sites inclusing this one and here:
www.gendan.co.uk (sign up for a free trial)came up with egr valve siezed.I thank you for your advice as I skipped to the last step and disconnected the electrics ,just took it for a test drive and I,ve got the acceleration back .Now waiting for the weekend to take it out and have a look with a view to unsiezing if it is that.cheers

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wonder if it's the weather??
My EGR is starting to play up again with loss of power, though thankfully not while mid journey on the motorway.
I know that a new EGR costs around £150 + Vat but of course that's without fitting.
It's a right royal pain in the rear to get at for those who have a 2.0 TDCI (Verified by another forum) so having just read donb's post about EGR cleaner, wonder if this might help or should I just bite the bullet and have the thing replaced?
If I do use the cleaner, where do I spray? Into the EGR itself or into a pipe that is easy to get to (hoping!!)?Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
21 Posts
The EGR spray goes into the air pipe after disconnecting it from air box. You have to increase the revs a bit, I put my tool box on the pedal a bit, then keep sraying in short bursts until the tin is used up. It seems to have worked as it only stuck on me once since doing it although now I have got the management light come on today, Arghhhhhhhhhh!
Donb

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well I'll give it a go!
Where did you buy yours? I know Halfords don't sell it, well at least in Basingstoke anyway!

There is a interesting video with it being used, though on a Focus TDDI and the amount of clag afterwards is amazing!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I`ll have a word with my mate who runs an auto shop to see what his price for the spray is and let you all know.
I might be a while getting back to you as I have a major problem with my keyboard.Sometimes I can type & some time I can`t.This evening is the first time I have been able to since last Thurs.I`ll be in touch some time soon.
MM

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Cheers donb & MM
I did find it this morning at Camberley Auto Factors for £7.45 but when I went home to try it, the Cmax failed to start

AA called and had a good talk with the chap. One hammer produced and one slight tap to the egr, it started along with a small amount of crud onto the driveway

I will post more later about the story but I did put a can of the stuff in. Perhaps another can direct into the egr valve?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might be a good idea if you can get it in the valve Lawe, its a bit of a tight squeeze to get to the manifold end where I think the valve is. I took mine into an independent in Fleet yesterday but nothing came up on the system so just cleared of the warning light and will wait and see. I'm in Alton by the way so we near to eachother in case of a tow needed.LOL

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just 20 mins away from a tow, cheers donb!

After yesterdays fun, this morning I was ready to dig in and I went a got another can of EGR3 and also, while I was there,bought a bottle of this stuff

"High Pressure 3
For Common Rail Diesels and Pump Injectors.
Protects high-pressure injection systems against fuel oxidation and excessive wear and fouling" so the blurb says!

Dumped the whole bottle of High Power 3 in as per instructions (It says one bottle per service and treats 50 litres) and the went to work at the EGR. Removed the wipers and the cowling to get at the EGR and partially removed the silver pipe. Sprayed into the EGR a few times and cleaned what I could at the top of the EGR with cloth. HOW MUCH crud

Put it all back together, tapped the EGR with my hammer for good measure (well if it's good for the AA..
) and then started her up. All good with a slight wisp of clag and all the right clicking noises from the EGR.
Opened up the air filter box and the started spraying the rest of the EGR3 in the air pipe while my wife revved the car up to 2,000 RPM.

Put the air box back to normal and feeling slightly chuffed that I managed to do all that in one hour, took the car for a test run around some lightly used country roads

All "seems" to be ok and wife has used the car this afternoon with no adverse problems, in fact she did say that it runs sweeter now than before. I'm in her good books!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
Just thought I would add my experiences with the EGR valve, as I have a slightly newer 56 2.0TDi, than those on this thread. I have been suffering the usual EGR siymptoms of loss of power and eventually could not cold start. Having followed the advice in similair thread on this forum, I have stripped the cowling off and took the metal pipe that goes to/from the valve and the air intake completely off. I was unable to get any EGR cleaner, so I have had to make do with carb cleaner. Plenty of spray down the top of the valve and a clean with a cloth seems to have unclogged it, - But I have not tested fully yet.
The point I really wanted to make was that on one of the threads it was said that the software was upgraded to cycle the valve once the engine was off. I can confirm that my valve is now doing this. Although to start with I was not sure that this was a good thing! On my car immediately after the engine has stoped, I can here a 'siren' noise for around 5 seconds, then what sounds like a relay clicking. The sound can only be heard with the bonnet open, and fans off etc. I have now been able to video with my phone that the 'siern' sound is in fact the valve pulsing in and out around 4/5 times, then the shutting off.
On first hearing the 'siern' I thought it was a warning from within the engine bay! As I had not heard this sound every time I have had the bonnet open I can only assume this is because the valve was sticking.

Hope this helps those with the newer engine.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Great write up Jem.
Yep forgot the siren as well, sort of high pitched hum/beep.
Well worth it in the end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its back! - Its been only 3 months since I cleaned out my EGR, but now it is playing-up again! A bit disappointed that it didn't last a bit longer to say the least. I could probably put-up with it being a yearly activity, but 3months? I think I need to do something that will last a bit longer...

Whilst chatting to my garage about giving it another clean through, they suggested that Vauxhall now issue a blanking plate to put over the EGR to cut off the recycled gas. They are unable to remove the unit, due to the electrics, so they completely cut out the feed back of the exhaust gas! Which has set me thinking... can anyone think of any drawbacks to this approach, because I was thinking about trying to create the same effect myself, and save on the replacement EGR, which I think is what it will come down to if this does not work.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's views.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If the EGR is blocked offthen that exhaust goes out the tailpipe and may affect any tailpipe readings when you have the MOT done or otherwise if you get a roadside check unit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Richard. Given that the only reason the car has a EGR is to help reduce emissions this is the only problem I could see with blocking the feedback pipe.

However, as I have now booked my car in to have the EGR replaced, I thought I would try blocking off the EGR until it is due to go to the garage. I must say that it definitely fixes the low revs problem and does not seem to have an effect on the running of the engine. I have driven a mix of motorway and suburban roads with no sign of any problems. I would definitely have hit problems if I had not blocked off the EGR in this way, as it was getting a struggle to start the car, and I wouldn't have even tried to drive the streets of Birmingham for fear of an accident.

For a temporary solution to the problem (i.e. driving the car whilst you wait for it to go into be fixed) I un-clipped the metal pipe from the air inlet and inserted a chinese take-away foil tray (double thickness) between the tube and inlet and then replaced the tube (so it clamps the foil into place) and cut any excess foil way so the clip could be closed. - Definitely not a permanent solution, but one that proved to me that the EGR is not needed by the car to run smoothly, although I have not taken exhaust readings, so this side of things could get you into problems. I would also say that by doing this the EGR value will definitely get very clogged up so don't try this if you are planning to clean it, as you are just making more mess for you to clean-up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts