Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a Mar 2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Zetec with 19,000 miles on the clock, though I haven't taken delivery yet. Since I bought it I have read a great many bad things about the C-Max (a lot of them in the Fith Gear website). The omens aren't encouraging - I bought it on Friday the 13th, and I pick it up on April 1st! Before I bought it I read mostly good things about it - typical!

Have I made a terrible mistake?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hi,welcome to the site.No I don`t think you have made a mistake.
Yes people have have poor experiences with the C-Maxbut,many have had good.Mine has been exellent.The only problem was the alternator which had to be replaced due to the previous owner & ford badly fitting a bluetooth setup.
I am so pleased with mine I am getting a second one so both my wife & I have one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with MM, I've had a few problems, but nothing more than you'd get from any other make or model.

I've had mine almost 2 1/2 years (40,000+ miles) and I'd buy another.

The only difference with the next one would be..... it would have to be dieselandI would try an avoid getting one with the EPB as that has been the only complaint on mine.

You'll be fine, and fingers crossed you wont regret it. Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
As with any car, there are ups and downs.
Remember that you will always hear more bad than good about any car as people ask more questions about faults and how to fix them.

You may have read some of the faults I've had with our CMax. Mine has been the fuel pump and a Injector that caused a few headaches and a empty wallet.
On the other side of the coin, smooth ride that will eat the miles on the road in comfort.
I have a 2.0 TDCI and while I'm happy with it, I think I would go the other way to Roy and go for a petrol one as the EGR on mine is need of cleaning and can be a bug bear to diesels also being unable to (or least it's not wildly used) use bio diesel in the engine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The only problem with the petrol over the diesel is you don't get the grunt you get from the diesel because the petrol has less torque.

The petrol is very smooth and quiet though, which is always a plus over the diesel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who offered their advice. It's true that there are often more negative comments - people with positive experiences aren't so motivated to say so, while those with bad experiences need to get it off their chest. Well, I'll just have to wait and see. Funny thing is, my intention was to buy a Focus hatchback, but this sleek Panther Black beast caught my eye and I was done for.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
R7BKR said:
The only problem with the petrol over the diesel is you don't get the grunt you get from the diesel because the petrol has less torque.

The petrol is very smooth and quiet though, which is always a plus over the diesel.
Petrol is quiet and no EGR problems but I prefer some noise, diesel thrash all the way

A good excuse to add a piccie I think...

Not that my cmax makes that amount of clag but perhaps my wife would let me have this

On a side note, Just wish I could get at the EGR with ease so I can give it a good clean.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
AHHH,that`s just how my RangeRover blows when I first start it after a couple of weeks inactivity.
The neighbours love me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I wonder what carbon emissions were on a Class 37? Similar to a small country I suspect. In the 80s I had an office that overlooked the railway at Eastleigh, Hampshire, and I remember the Class 37s - so much more business-like than the dreary Class 33s and 47s. I am not a railway buff though, they were just something to look at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No - on the whole and with normal luck you have not made a bad move.
I have had my LXcoming up to 3 years now from newand replacement beckons,. Unfortunately the she-dragon has decreed we must move down in size and the Fusion is not up to what we need, so we'er moving away from Ford.
My experience of the C-Max is mainly good. Only one failure - the rear door switch and that fixed without query under warranty. One stupid bit , the front wheels must have been badly aligned on delivery and murdered the tyres in the first year.
My main gripe is actually the fuelconsumption, but with a 1.6 petrol I suspect it may be underpowered for the body.
Good things - both me and the ma-in-law can get in and out without problems (shes 80 and I've a bad back, the ride is lovely, the vision is also good and the luggage space immense even with the rear seats up. The one time I had to move the seats it looked like the inside of a transit in size.
Would just like to take this opportunity to say goodbye as I am unlikely to post again whenI make the change. My final comment is that this is one of the few car forums where a reasoned and helpful athmosphere prevails.
Thanks for all the info I've picked up from the other memebers
Edited by: ken turbine

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ken,
You know you're gonna miss the C-Max.

If you do log on again before you move over to the dark side..... what will you and wife be looking at getting.?

Good luck and I hope you don't regret the move away from your be-loved Ford...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes.
We've ordered a Meriva 1.6 with a/c and it is taking forever to arrrive.A variety of reasons for the choice, but none as good as just getting another C-Max!

KenEdited by: ken turbine

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ken,
you should have gone for the Meriva VXR (1.6 Turbo)
Now that would be fun....

Good luck with it though.

I must admit I did have anY reg 2.0DTI Zafira before getting the C-Max and only really got rid of it because I'd clocked up over 80K miles and I didn't need the seven seats.

I certainly didn't regret owning it, but I and am now glad I did since having the C-Max.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts