Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I wonder if anyone with a Grand CMax can help me please?

I have recently bought a 2011 Grand CMax and need to fit a car seat with an extendable leg in the back seat (2nd row) on the passenger side. The underfloor storage compartment in the footwell is making this slightly complicated...

My manual tells me that I can still do this safely, but only if the foam insert/filler is present in the compartment. However ours is missing. I have tried to purchase this directly from Ford Parts UK and also from Trust Ford, but am drawing a blank in both cases. The parts they are suggesting are not the right shape/size. What I need is an L-shape insert that, at it's longest dimensions are about 38cmx24cm and at its shortest are about 24cmx9cm.

Has anyone either:
- Had any success purchasing this part?
- Got this part that they would be willing to sell me please?

I am prepared to consider moving the car seat to the other side of the car, if that's the only way I can source the part. (Though the storage compartment the other side is a completely different shape/size.)

Any advice/information gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you scroll down on this page there are threads about underfloor fillers that may help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there

I wonder if anyone with a Grand CMax can help me please?

I have recently bought a 2011 Grand CMax and need to fit a car seat with an extendable leg in the back seat (2nd row) on the passenger side. The underfloor storage compartment in the footwell is making this slightly complicated...

My manual tells me that I can still do this safely, but only if the foam insert/filler is present in the compartment. However ours is missing. I have tried to purchase this directly from Ford Parts UK and also from Trust Ford, but am drawing a blank in both cases. The parts they are suggesting are not the right shape/size. What I need is an L-shape insert that, at it's longest dimensions are about 38cmx24cm and at its shortest are about 24cmx9cm.

Has anyone either:
  • Had any success purchasing this part?
  • Got this part that they would be willing to sell me please?
I am prepared to consider moving the car seat to the other side of the car, if that's the only way I can source the part. (Though the storage compartment the other side is a completely different shape/size.)

Any advice/information gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance.

Did you ever get any resolution on this? I am looking for the exact same part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn’t get the part - but I got a resolution of sorts. I took it to a Ford dealer who concluded that there isn’t a foam filler for that year/model. It isn’t listed as a spare part and the compartment lid itself is sufficiently sturdy that the guy confirmed it probably wasn’t supplied with a filler in the first place - and it isn’t required for the safety of the car seat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't trust the lid alone. I used a piece of 12mm plywood that was bigger than the lid so was supported by the floorpan around the edges on my 08 CMax. If you look at the edges of the lid it's thinner (if it's the same as my older model) and that's a weak point.
The force of the strut on the lid under heavy braking is quite high and under crash conditions would be sufficient to distort the lid. A foam filler might not seem to be strong but it's a distributed load so will be able to withstand high stresses.
I wouldn't want to compromise a child's safety by hoping that the lid alone would be enough.
My new 17 plate doesn't have the storage so isn't have the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts