Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm technically a week early, but I figure its close enough.

Rather that add to my other thread "the first 1000" miles, I thought I would start a fresh one as I have been the proud owner of Maddy my Panther Black MK1 Grand C-Max.

Overview

Its worth noting this car to me is not a 7 seater, its a car with a big(ish) boot that can accommodate 7 people when needed. More often than not I carry 5 people but use one of the rear seats so everyone can sprawl out.

As you may have seen on my other thread I have pretty much thrown everything I can think of to this car and each time she amazes me. My first journey less than a week after getting her was London and back, which gave me a good insight into her. From there I've taken her round country roads, a trip to the Isle of Wight with all the interesting roads that has to offer and I still smile when I go for a drive. I've used her almost as a van taking everything from a king size mattress to a 3 seater sofa (that one didn't fit fully)

I think sometimes it does depend on what you are expecting from a car. If you are expecting a full on 7 seater then yes you will be disappointed, if you are expecting a c-max with a little extra to offer then this is where you should be looking.

Handling.

It has been described that this car handles like a focus but with a bigger body, I have not driven a focus but I can confirm that I can throw her into corners and she reacts well, I don't think that I will be doing a rally course just yet but a few country roads and still a lot of fun

I remember reading one review complaining about the turning circle on the GCM being rubbish, which did have me worried. I should not have been though, I have yet to come across a situation where I have thought oh the turning circle is bad.

Fuel.

Ok Maddy is a 1.6 TDCi, as many people have noted fuel consumption is not as the brochure, which only gives you the fuel consumption under perfect test conditions and not real world.

After almost 12 month my average consumption (checked just before I got out of the car) is 44.7mpg. As this is a mixture of urban, extra-urban and towing, overall I do not think that is too bad. A full tank will last between 400-650 miles depending on the types of road I am using and traffic.

Towing

Not much has been said about this area, I have seen standard C-Max's used for towing but not another GCM so far. Given the weight of the car and the engine, maximum towing is 1200Kg so I'm not going to be towing an 8 berth twin wheeled caravan anytime, but I do tow 1100kg quite often now. I could tell you how you don't notice a difference, but anyone who states that I dare them to watch the MPG when towing, its scary...... However the GCM does tow reasonably well and does not look entirely out of place. If you don't have the tow bar already fitted then check with your dealer, mine didn't fit them but put me onto a local fitter who was approved (leased car needed to be approved) and not bad pricing.

Comfort & Styling

The GCM is not going to win any comfort awards (well not the Zetec) after a long drive, but to be honest I have driven worse in the past and thanks to the height of the car you don't have to hoist yourself up you can just slide out, which overall makes things much easier.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love the radio and the console in the GCM (yes I know its the same in the focus and Fiesta) some have said too many buttons and I confess I did think the same when I first got in, but after a while things are just second nature so I hardly realise there are many.

Conclusion

If you are still reading, then well done. I hadn't intended to write this much, it just happened.

In the 12 months I have owned Maddy, I have not had many issues to be concerned about, I did wonder if I had an issue with the DAB, but that seems to be the local systems being updated. The height of the car has meant I have had to buy some different washing equipment, you don't really notice the height unless you are short like me and need to wash the roof.

Her first service was in January and not a single issue. I am still on the tyres she was delivered with and so far they are still going strong.

The Zetec trim does give you a lot for your money, part of me does wish I got the Titanium for some of the extra toys, but I do have everything I really need, from the reversing sensors to electric windows and DAB. I do miss the Global windows open I had on the Mondeo and I think that's in the Titanium

To anyone contemplating a GCM and reading this, then please don't compare the GCM to the larger people carriers that are suitable for 7 adults, this is not what the GCM is. Think more along the lines of the VW Touran or the Renault Scenic Grand. these are 5 seaters with 2 occasional seats for emergencies I think is the best way to describe

Plus put all the above side by side and I personally think that the GCM looks much nicer than its rivals. The GCM is styled so it still looks fun.

You are more than welcome to comment or ask me a question direct, I am in no way a car expert so I can only give you answers based on my own experience with the car

·
Registered
97 Posts
Xanadu
I have read your report with great interest. I currently have a MK1 c-max and I am thinking of upgrading to the grand c-max for the larger boot and slide doors as I have a little one. A couple of questions that I have if I may, the rear seats (not the occasional ones) the isofix points are they accessible without modification (the mk1 c-max required a fitting kit and cutting seats)
Secondly, the spare wheel, how is it accessed, is there any room for a full size spare?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good write up. The height was an issue for me when washing it and I am almost 6ft. I got a kiddies stool from Ikea to wash mine.

I ran mine for 3 years and 40k miles. No major issues except 1 occasion when the front footwell got water in it which I noticed when it smelled damp. Once dried out it never happened again.

My only gripes was it never felt as powerful as I expected it would for a 140hp engine, the clutch never felt right but did not let me down, and It did like to eat front tyres but Michelin's were far and away the best for wear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am always interested in hearing other experiences.

Paule I expected to eat lots of tyres, I have done over 15k on the original ones and I still have 3mm of tread. The 1.6 diesel I think tries harder which makes it a little more fun (that could be me though). I always found the 2.0 TDCI just got on with it, with no real effort, almost like the ronseal of engines.

Argos value stepladders help me washing the car, either that or the nice people at the hand car wash, the Zetec alloys are a pain in the proverbial to wash....

Duff - I confess my kids are older and do not need isofix so I haven't looked. Both the main seats in the middle row fold forwards for when you convert for all seats down, so I would imagine that the isofix is easily accessible. pop to your local ford garage and if there is one on the forecourt, have a look inside. The spare wheel I think is a bug bear for many owners, mine has the emergency tyre inflator, although as its a leased car, I make a phone call to kwik fit mobile and they sort me out, or inflate and drive to the closest.

Accessing the space save wheel is not that difficult, its a case of opening the boot and moving the cover. I am not convinved a full size wheel will fit there, some others may be able to confirm / deny.

Briangifford1 - Thank you. I did it as I noticed that reviews of the GCM were either apparently biased, written by people who were expecting a Galaxy people carrier in the space of a shoe box, or just very lacking. I for one feel that the GCM is a misunderstood vehicle that so far from my own experience has dealt with everything I have thrown at it.

Despite what I wrote above about the towing MPG, I have actually managed to get 34.7 when towing a caravan, which in all fairness is not that bad at all

·
Registered
98 Posts
No complaints with our GCM hoping to have many more adventures and memories to share with my family

A full tank will last me a month or more.
Accumulated around 5k miles.
No squeaks or unwanted noise when driving.
No concern with DAB radio.
Ample space for any situation when needed.
Im my opinion looks better than its competitors.
She has some scratches on her rims due to pavement but other than that she looks pristine.
We received compliments for her.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pleased to hear it Rossi, it most certainly is one of the better looking 7 seaters and it certainly is not boring to drive.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
After having had a couple of cars with nice looking alloys that were a PITA to clean it was quite high up on my list of things to look for in the Grand's replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Xanadu - Couldn't agree more about the wheels, they are a complete PITA to clean. :mad:
If I get a choice next time, I am going to go for straights I think. That said, I have found that Foam wheel cleaner, a soft scrubbing brush and clean cloth do actually do the job, just not as quick as some other cars.

still in the grand scheme (no pun intended) it is hardly the biggest issue on what is essentially to me still a fun car to drive

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After having had a couple of cars with nice looking alloys that were a PITA to clean it was quite high up on my list of things to look for in the Grand's replacement.
I wish I had realised before, however when clean, they do look really nice

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well people, it has been a little while since I threw an update on this and the only thing to report is I needed new tyres. The front ones that arrived with the car managed 19000 miles before they needed to be changed. The rears still have 3-4mm tread on.

I confess I don't know how that compares to others, I guess they all leave with the same tyres from the dealer at new.

Other than that, I am still loving the car, she is eating the miles up like nothing and the car still surprises me on acceleration :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another year and another update.

Car is now over 32000 miles and still going well. in the last 12 months the only issue has been the Aircon needed to be re-gassed, and the part where the centre seat joins together that plastic bit seems to occasionally pop open but not the end of the world.

Beyond that all is still well, I forget how much fun she can be on a country road, throwing her into the corners is still great fun despite the fact you are essentially driving a small bus.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well people, it has been a little while since I threw an update on this and the only thing to report is I needed new tyres. The front ones that arrived with the car managed 19000 miles before they needed to be changed. The rears still have 3-4mm tread on.

I confess I don't know how that compares to others, I guess they all leave with the same tyres from the dealer at new.

Other than that, I am still loving the car, she is eating the miles up like nothing and the car still surprises me on acceleration :)
My original Continental Contact 3 front tyres needed replacing at 18000 miles, but the rARS HAVE 4-5mm left.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My Mk 1 passed its MOT this morning, a clean bill of health just a tiny hole in the origional silencer outer skin. Not bad for 12 years old and has never broken down.
3 years ago I was considering selling it and getting a bmw 5 or mondeo but four of my disc's (body not car) went and I could not find anything comfortable to drive so I stuck with my cmax and am glad I did now. I could have traded her in and ended up with a lemon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This week saw the first MOT for the GCM, it was done at the dealership (not my decision) only advisories were tyres but even those were all over 3mm. Apart from that brake pads need replacing as they are low (but not dangerous) and the wiper blade was at replacement marker.

Overall a clean bill of health.

Nothing further to report, we are looking forward to going away with her again this year so I will update as and when

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Mk 1 passed its MOT this morning, a clean bill of health just a tiny hole in the origional silencer outer skin. Not bad for 12 years old and has never broken down.
3 years ago I was considering selling it and getting a bmw 5 or mondeo but four of my disc's (body not car) went and I could not find anything comfortable to drive so I stuck with my cmax and am glad I did now. I could have traded her in and ended up with a lemon.
Pleased to hear yours passed, I do like the MK1, have you considered upgrading to the newer CMax or even the GCM? I like the GCM for its height

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Afternoon everyone, it has been a while so I thought I would give a brief update. Only real issue to report at the moment is the Air Con has required regassing twice in the ownership. unsure if that is a fault or just because its the UK and I hardly use it (until recently)

Had some more tyres on the front, so with the mileage at around 40000, I can say I am certainly pleased with the tyre consumption. I have however started with an intermittent issue where the boot seems to jam and pulling seems to be the way to release it. however it has only happened 3 times in the last few months so one to keep my eyes on.

Other than that, she continues to prove her worth and I feel I may be slightly saddened come February when she is handed back. I have driven a variety of cars over the years and the GCM whilst having its quirks, has proven itself time and time again to be a good general purpose workhorse. The 1.6 diesel engine is still sharp enough to get me off the line and occasionally upset the odd sports car for a few seconds

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well here it is, my final update.

Due to some changes in the office I lose the GCM at the end of this month as my daily car. Over the last few years I have kept a log of my finding and I hope anyone who reads it has found it to be of use.

The only issue I have had in recent months is some kind driver took out my wing mirror resulting in the need for a replacement housing. they had hit it with such force that they cracked the external housing, the plastic trim on the internal and the indicator cover resulting in a £170 repair (all new parts but not paid for by me).

Fuel consumption has remained steady over the years, for normal round town driving I get approx. 400-450 miles to a tank. If I am on the motorway visiting customers then I can get upto 650 miles to a tank (I am sure I got somewhere close to 730 recently but cannot locate the info) and towing the caravan on the motorways averages me about 380-450 depending on the conditions. All of which I find are reasonable figures.

It has been an interesting journey over the years, the car is remarkable yet unremarkable at the same time. It has taken everything I have thrown at it in it's stride and I hope the next owner finds it as useful as I have.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm surprised you can bring yourself to give Maddy back, it was supposed to be February as well so early.
Thanks anyway for your ongoing log of the journey :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts