Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

long time reader first time poster !!!!!

i have a focus c max 1.6 tdci 04 plate , has been great up until a intercooler pipe went then Ive had no end of problems , thats fixed now but other things have cropped up

so , was doing the 3k limp home 50% of the time no rhyme or reason - faults where egr , mass air flow , glowplugs

had erg deleted that one went , changed MAF that one went , still doing it , had glow plugs changed the mechanic showed me after none of the plugs worked that he had taken out( battery test no glow) success !!!!but its has done it again - the mechanic told me before i left when i had the glow plugs fitted that the relay needed changing as it looked poor - the fault code is p138b which is the low volts to glowplugs

can anyone point me to the part with number as i cannot find it , a bit of a guild as to how to change - as the mechanic said don't bother paying anyone to do it you can do it yourself through the passenger side wheel arch

any help would be greatly received

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right Lads time to get the old grey matter working , Ive changed the glowplug relay and all the above and im still getting the intermittent P138B still ? any ideas ?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Cheers Richard , when i removed the relay one of the pins was corroded so i cleaned the female connector with electrical cleaner and put the new relay in

part of me is wondering if the fuse 6 (60amp) of the underbonnet fuse box has gone ?
that would be a constant fault I'd think
more likely the voltage going in & out of spec on the PCM monitoring side of the arrangements

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that would be a constant fault I'd think
more likely the voltage going in & out of spec on the PCM monitoring side of the arrangements
It might be best to get an auto electrician out , after changing the intercooler pipe , full service , egr delete , glowplugs replace , engine decarbonizing ,new battery, now glowplug relay replacing . its getting to the limit of my skill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive had all the connectors off , cleaned with electrical contact cleaner . the car now seems fine when diving but to start it in the morning will take 3/4 times and dies (p138b code comes up ). once i get over the starting issue it runs fine , can stop it leave it start it again no issue it just seems to be first thing

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Ive had all the connectors off , cleaned with electrical contact cleaner . the car now seems fine when diving but to start it in the morning will take 3/4 times and dies (p138b code comes up ). once i get over the starting issue it runs fine , can stop it leave it start it again no issue it just seems to be first thing
Might have to try going back another relay up the supply side & see what those terminals are like

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
is that the one in the fuse box in the engine bay ?
just like that I don't know

If the connections to the relay weren't all in one connector I might be tempted to try a temporary feed from battery straight to the relay just to remove all the doubt of any other relays and wires

Logic being that there are 2 different values for the PCM to monitor
(a) at cranking &
(b) with the engine running & alternator charging

1 - 17 of 17 Posts