Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - This is my first post here. Looks like a friendly place to be. :)

I am picking my new '04 C-Max Ghia X up tomorrow. After placing my deposit last week, I've done a bit of digging around and I've found no other reference to a Ghia 'X' C-Max. So, I'm now starting to wonder about it's origins.

The independent car dealer who I'm buying it from seems to think it was originally purchased by a Ford Dealership as a demonstrator. It has pretty much every option I can think of (apart from the 6-disc changer and the drop down DVD screen).

It has the sat-nav, dual zone climate control, cream leather upholstry, sunroof and possibly xenon headlights (I'm not sure about the lights yet).

Can anyone shed any light on this spec?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hi and welcome
.I think the spec you have is now the Titanium pack on newer models.
Shame about the cd & dvd but I`m sure you`ll have miles of happy C-Maxing.

MM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Eddie and welcome, your new car sounds as though it is well fitted out,hope you enjoy the club, lots of info on here.
Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome, Guys

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Forgot to ask,what type engine & what size?
Don`t be late to bed if your off to get the car in the morning

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the 2.0 diesel. I needed to have the big engine to make it heavy enough to balance our caravan correctly. I'm hoping I made the right choice but I have to say I'm a little worried about the electric parking brake and it's reliability!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi Eddie and welcome!

Not heard of a Ghia X but then Ghia's of that Reg were the top spec and then depends on what boxes were ticked.
I too have a 2.0 TDCI Ghia and have the DVD player but no sunroof, sat nav (built in) or climate control.

According towww.whattowcar.com it is a very good tow car we have been looking into getting a caravan for a while (newbies for owning and towing but not to staying in caravans) and the CMax seems to fit the bill.

It does seem the EGR is a problem on all Fords and I have have just (touching wood) cleaned ours.
Either way, enjoy the ride and enjoy your stay on here!

SteveEdited by: lawe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, well I've had the car almost 2 days now and I quite like it. It drives very well and it's pretty much 'as new' to look at.

I'm disappointed a little in a few areas though:

1. There's a really annoying creaking noise from the dashboard just above the centre heater vents. If I press on the dashboardat that point I can re-create the noise. Really annoying around town!

2. Excessive tyre noise - It's got really noisey tyres that howl even at 30mph. It's got Federals on the front and Michellin on the back. I know that noise travels in cars, but it really does sound to be a noise from the back of the car and that's where the Michellins are. I would have otherwise suspected the Federals.

3. Having found a handbook for the car online, I now realise how many features it doesn't have! I was hoping it would have the fridge in the centre console, I had also spotted the bluetooth section of the manual but it hasn't got that, either. Never mind, it has got the xenon headlights, cruise, climate, sat-nav, parking sensors and heated seats so I'm ok with it really.

If anyone can adviseon any of these issues, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Eddie said:
1. There's a really annoying creaking noise from the dashboard just above the centre heater vents. If I press on the dashboardat that point I can re-create the noise. Really annoying around town!
Could be the cubby hole on top of the dash...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I thought about that, too. I opened the door of it but the creak is still there. It comes from directly underneath the 'spongy' bit of dashboard above the centre vents.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Try putting a little washing up liquid on a cotton bud & wipe that around.
I have Michelins on my A-Class & they are terrible,
On the C-Max I have Avons & they are fairly good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run a standard Ghia and it sounds like you have the equivelent of the titanium. I tow a Bailey Padgent Champagne with my2004 2ltrTDI (28 to 31 per gallon towing) with absolutly no problems when using the eletric hand brake, I have put on the rubber ring inserts on the rear springs and another thing to watch for is when reversing the van, dont try to reverse uphill or you will burn out the clutch, I instaled a Rhyno motor mover to alleviate the problem.
Hope you dont get to many problems, I have had a new alternator, fuel tank sender and a couple of issues with the EGR valve but the car is such a treat to drive I am reluctant to change.
Donb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The suspension does seem a little low and it had concerned me a little for when I'm towing. Donb, how do your spring inserts work? Do they simply stop it bottoming or do they strengthen the spring? I'm assuming that they just stop it bottoming out - how easy are they to fit and remove?
The caravan belongs to my parents so I can't do much about the motor mover scenario. I suppose I'll just have to consider the clutch a little more than I'm used to. I'm used to towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Auto which, to be honest,doesn't really notice anything is hitched up! It just does whatever you tell it to.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If I ever did any towing I think the first thing I`d do is uprate the rear shocks for adjustables also fitstronger springs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Eddie said:
2. Excessive tyre noise - It's got really noisey tyres that howl even at 30mph. It's got Federals on the front and Michellin on the back. I know that noise travels in cars, but it really does sound to be a noise from the back of the car and that's where the Michellins are. I would have otherwise suspected the Federals.
The C-Max does seem to be a litttle more sensitive to tyre noise than most cars. I put it down to its relatively boxy dimensions (i.e. van shape) causing road noise to reverberate more than other non-MPV type cars.

When I first got my C-Max it was fitted with Conti boots. I've since replaced them with Michelin Primacy HPs, and they've made a world of difference to the tyre noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I might replace the tyres a little earlier than strictly necessary then.

On the plus side, I've just found the 6-disc changer! I had been looking at floor level (as that's where it is on the other half's Scenic) but I've just noticed it snugly positioned just underneath the passenger seat cushion!

.... and, I've just also found a photocopy of the original purchase receipt for the vehicle!
Just over £25,000 worth of C-Max sitting on my driveway! It lists it as a 'Ghia' not, a 'Ghia-X' but it details all the options on the receipt along with their value. The only option I'm not too sure about is the 'Traveller Pack' - can anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The spring inserts are easy to fit, you just jack up the rear and measure the gap between the spring coils in the centre of the spring, this then gives you the correct size to buy. Graysons do them or just look on Towsure website, to make them fit easily I just wipe a bit of liquid soap around the edge and slide them in by twisiting. they do make the ride firmer but not to the handling detriment. MAD do more up grades but depends on how much you want to spend. I have used them for years and even swapped them around cars if they were the right size.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK - thanks for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts