Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please bear with me, have never done anything like this before! And apologies if this has already appeared on the forum - had a quick scan but couldn't see anything.

Have a 2005 Focus CMax that has an intermittent problem with changing gears. Seems to be no rhyme or reason - sometimes when the car is hot, sometimes when cold. Sometimes moving from 1st to 2nd gear, sometimes from 3rd to 4th. It seems like the gear lever completely sticks in whatever gear, then by applying a certain amount of force it moves freely and the problem doesn't happen for a while.

I'm a bit concerned about using the car, in case the gear lever jams altogether. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As a first check
When you are stationary and with the engine not running
If you push the clutch in can you get the gear lever to easily go into each gear including reverse
I supose the second check ought to be to try to see the gearbox end of the linkage just in case there is something partially obstructing its movement

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As Richard says it could be the linkage but it could also be the syncromesh?
As you have a manual transmission you will NOT have any transmission fluid as this is only in automatics.
MM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blimey, getting complicated aint it!

My brother was right - I should have bought a Chevette!!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Another one to add to the list for the weekend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get a sticky change into second sometimes but I put it down to tiredness or the wrong shoes (or both). My clutch has a lot of resistance and could do with a check over to see whether its worn.

Hope you get to the bottom of your issue! Let us know what happens.

Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had an interesting day out last weekend. Pulled out and couldn't get into any gear at all! Had to turn off engine then put it into gear, then turn on engine again. Eventually hubby drove home 4th gear all the way, changing gears without using the clutch pedal. Car now in the garage for investigation. Also the bonnet lock broke at the same time, so unable to check any fluids! Should find out tomorrow the verdict.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts