Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have just got back from local ford dealerwho has just given me the bad news that the wife's 2.0 tdci needs a new clutch fitting
which is the reason for the smell. he has told me it is an all day job and that £700 should be enough
as they will have to replace a couple of other parts as well as the clutch not to sure which parts these are maybe some one on here can fill me in.
car was alright before they did the service and mot last week as it only has 37k on the clock.
do you think i'm being rob by them at that price or is it about right?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Did the fraud mechanic test drive it before you collected it? If it was ok before it went in,what`s the betting it was driven about `on the clutch` causing it to wear & slip thus need replacing.Maybe it`s me but having worked for a dealer (not ford) & seeing first hand how customer cars are treated,unlessI know the staff personally,I`d never take my car to a dealer again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Postie,
I would ring a different dealer and ask how much the parts are and how much they would charge to get it replaced.

Then do the same at an independant garage and see how much it would be.

Mines out of warranty in May so from thenon its going to an independant thats for sure.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is the smell always present on driving and did it only appear after the service? If the car is driving okay I would be a little sceptical. Maybe the smell is some spilt fluid burning off on the engine case.

If you "ride" the clutch it does make an aweful stink. I had this when I first had the car and reversed up a steep drive. The smell was a bit like an ammoniasmell. Anyway after a few weeks it disappeared and I have had no problems since.

I am not a mechanic. But I sometimes wonder just how proficient some of these guys are that look at the car in the Ford dealers. For example, I had an oil leak andfirstly they wanted £30 for telling me I had a leak and then £300 for finding out where it was coming from. I am convinced it was from the changed oil filter and sure enough after the next service the leak had gone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally, I would live with the smell. The classic test of the clutch would be to accelerate hard at low revs in high gear (I would say from 50 in 5th or 70 in 6th to be at the point of engine max torque) and look for the revs to rise faster than the road speed. If it passes that test then it's still OK inmy book.

37k is a very low mileage to wear out the clutch, but I guess if you live in a hilly area or do a lot of town driving, then perhaps it could go, but then there are many reports of premature failure of clutches and dual-mass flywheels.

I too doubt the abilities of many technicians (in dealers and independents) to accurately diagnose faults.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car is going in to a local garage not a dealer on tuesday for the clutch to be done. i have had a chat with the owner who is a friend of the wife's boss and he is going to do it for a lot less than ford andhe has done a few mondeo's which have completly broken. but he has fitted a conversion fit to them which puts the clutch back to the good old days where there is less to brake or change.
as for the smell it's there all the time when you are driving which is giving me and the wife headaches sowe have to drive it with the windows down to get some freshair in and the smell is worse when it has been out for a mile or even less andwhen youstop and get out you can really smell it even if you go away and come back hour or so later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car has been fixed, had a new clutch and dual-mass flywheels fitted as it seems the clutch wasnot releaseing properly which caused the burning smell andcookedthe clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi a very good friend of mine has a focus c-max he had the gear box replaced after 16000 miles and now had the clutch repalced it is a common problem with the focus c-max and fords know this yet they will not do anything to fix this on going problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts