Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. 2010 DM2 1.8 TDCI Titanium. Been knocking on the front end for a while. Had the Struts replaced, the strut "bushes" at the top, new control arms with new hub carrier ball joints, new tie-rod ends, new drop links and also new drive shafts. The latter was not because of the knocking but a wobble under accerlation.
So the long and the short of it: still have knocking from the front, altough better than it was. Now the ony thing left, I think, is the front anti-roll bar anchor bushes. A possibility?

To confirm, the work done above all done by my garage, so everything positioned correctly and torqued up correctly etc.

Anyone done these anti-roll bar bushes? Could it be these? Haynes suggests a sub frame drop to replace; urrgh. no thanks. Can it be done in situ? Cheers all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Mr Tbone,
When I read your " front end knocking " post - straight away I thought - drop links . But I see that you have replaced, just about every bit of front suspension that is subject to wear, and so you can safely rule that out.
I once renewed the roll bar bushes on a mk 2 Mondeo (without removing the subframe) . From memory - it was time consuming, due to the usual culprit ie limited space in which to turn a spanner . Think I did both sides, and I remember it did'nt seem to make any reduction to noisy suspension.
To sum up - Haynes is a decent publication, but sometimes they send you the long way round, when you can take a much quicker and direct route.
Be interested to know the outcome of you situation

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so update. Had another garage take a look and they spent the day investigating. Even put it in their suspension jig which is a fantastic machine shaking it up and down and side to side. All suspension checks out. All nuts and bolts and suspension tight, fitted correctly. Roll bar bushes in great condition as are engine mounts. They took various covers off and road tested and it still knocked. They checked battery was in tight, wheel arch covers, under engine cover, exhaust and body mounts etc. Pretty much everything. Conclusion: probably either an aftermarket part dodgy, but unlikely, or knocking associated with a part that they would not expect to knock. Long shots would be cv joints. So as annoying as it is, car is safe to drive; live with it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FIXED! Another update that may be of use for others in the future. So I took it upon myself to take off the struts again and decided to change the springs on both sides. I also opted for paying for better quality top mounts and bearings. Hey presto, drives brilliantly. No knocking at all. Having inspected the mounts and bearing I'd previously put on, they are much looser than the MOOG ones so conclusion is the quality was just not good enough. Logic here is the fitting was done in an identical manner. I would pay close attention to the order of things though. Make sure the hub bottom bolt it torqued up with the top mount bolts slightly loose. Then settle car back down "on both sides" on the road wheels THEN torque up the top mount bolts... I think the old springs may also have been weaker than the new ones as comparing side by side uncompressed, they were looking slightly longer and perhaps therefore had lost some tensile strength. Anyway,hopefully this help others in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts