Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...got a 04 1.8ghia c max and have recently changed the pads both front and back..the rear pads were good looking quality things and fit no problem, however the fronts were quite a cheap set of pads (all they had at the time) and didn't wanna fit because of the lip on the discs..the lip is only about a mm so i figured they'd be ok but the pads are seeming to refuse to bed in..

ok...gonna spend more money and get decent new pads and discs..

my question is,what's the deal with the electric side of things when changing the brakes..? i've read something about disconnecting batt lead..is this essential and why..?
many thanks, rgds stuart

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
in many cases the lip on front discs is a combination of rust and brake dust and can often be gently be removed by hold a rough file against the disc and then turning gently by hand (both sides of each disc of course)

This lip could either be either just outside the pad area or have worn the existing pads to suit and could have a very large effect on bedding new pads in

I've not heard of anything previously with disconnecting the battery for only changing brake pads

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The lip is due to wear on the disc.It means heavy frequent braking & probably gone through at least one previous set of pads.It can be filed off,but new discs will be required at some point in future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for replies guys...checked discs yesterday with wheel off and the lip is barely 1mm..inside of disc has worn smooth but outside face has only bedded in half way across disc (if this makes sense..!)..gonna give the discs another week or so (we don't do that many miles) to see if they hopefully bed in fully and if not, i'll swap for new pads and new discs to be sure..
cheers, rgds stuart

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
At what point though does the braking effort produced by the pads exceed the amount of grip between tyre and road even allowing for ABS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts