Ford C-Max Forum banner

Front Brake Pads

25K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Graeme 
#1 ·
How easy is to change the front brake pads on a 1.6 TDCI 54 C-Max. And where can i download some instructions.

Cheers

Ben

#2 ·
Its very easy but not if you havent ever done it before. Its one of the most easy jobs on a car. But it would probably be best if you were overlooked by some one who has experience of removal and renewal 1st.

What would be good if those muppets haynes did a manual but they dont and wont not that they are that great as they are too general but better than no help

ben welcome

#3 ·
Now I admit that I have never changed a Ford make brake or disc

I am in the same postion as I have, now sitting in the kitchen, two new disc and pads made by Mintex (Thanks to ebay and next day delivery as well. Way cheaper than my local Motor Factor and brand name make as well.)
I have done my "cheap" Skoda brake pad clean and check and it was quite smooth process along with a copy of Haynes manual and a few print outs from members of Briskoda. I also did do a lot of reading and searching on the net as well as watch youtube videos so that I could take time doing them.

I wish Haynes would pull there finger out and finally gives what we want, but seeing as that might be a long time to wait, I did find this link which I think is the best we can get.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=40
Now I know it is american but the everything is the same. Our Cmax is based on the Focus Mk2 as is this brake pad and disc change.
If anyone who has done the pads, could you please have a look at the link and see if anything could be added to make peoples life easier or is this the best we can get?

Either way, I hope this helps asI will be using it next week.

#5 ·
I think that most front pads are of a similar design to change so most of the other recent Ford Haynes manuals should help.

The only thing to remember is that the retaing bolts are a 7mm Allen key size which is not something that everyone stocks normally
There are 7mm socket bit also available

#6 ·
I did it!
Spent best part of two hours doing the job.
The real pain in the rear bits were stuck on wheels and discs. However my rubber mallet was well used in these areas and all that tension just went!

Now taking it easy, bedding them in. Still thinking about the rears.... EPB springs to mind!

#7 ·
Do the front pads have any pins on the back of them that fit into the end of the caliper as the back sets are supposed to do and if they did , did you happen to make any notes as to how big the pins were and what spacing the wholes in the end of the caliper was

(re the size of the adaptor for the wind back tool)

#8 ·
Richard G said:
Do the front pads have any pins on the back of them that fit into the end of the caliper as the back sets are supposed to do and if they did , did you happen to make any notes as to how big the pins were and what spacing the wholes in the end of the caliper was

(re the size of the adaptor for the wind back tool)
One of the pads had spring clips, 3 of them, that slotted in the caliper.
There was no wind back holes for the front, just a g-clamp and slow turning. The wind back is just for the back and I'm now trying to build up some courage for doing the back (EPB!).

#9 ·
The case of not winding but just pushing the front calipers back was what I believed, I just wanted some confirmation from a gunea pig who'd done the job. If the sleeves around the caliper retaining bolts move easily enough I remember being able to move the calipers enough by hand to compress the piston enough.

As to the rear's with EPS, check the previous posts about how not to get the EPB to operate if you remove the key

On the 1.6TDCi the rear caliper piston pins are 6mm dia and at 19.5 mm PCD (Pitch Cirvle Diameter) They might be different on others. This particular adaptor for the wind back tool is not often sold with the tools I've found - Good Luck when you do !!!!

#11 ·
I have just done the rear pads on my 1.6tdci with EPB and itis very easy if you have the wind back tool. Make sure you leave the key in the ignition so that hand brake is off. 7mm allen key to undo caliper, pull off the spring, pads out, wind caliper piston right back, new pads in - pad with butterfly spring ( or 3 spring clips - there are 2 types apparently interchangeable) goes to the inside and the plain one to the outside. When you've done both sides, pump the brakes before trying the EPB.
The pins on the back of the pads do not engage with the caliper piston - You've got the pads in the wrong way if you're trying to do that! (As had Mr Ford who did it last time on one side of mine resulting in badly uneven wear on pads!)
Hope this helps. Haven't done fronts yet but will be even easier without having to wind caliper in

#16 ·
#19 ·
I have a C max 54 plate 2.0 Ghia, going to change the discs & pads. The front seems to be normal very similar to the normal Focus and should be easy to change..
It's the EPB that I do not understand fully, if looking at the piston end which way does the adjuster have to be wound back. Turn it clockwise or counter clockwise ? Does the brake piston turn when the adjuster is wound back ? or are the EPB workings mounted to the caliper ?
Does it take a lot of grunt to wind this back ? Does anyone have any pictures this would be great.
When the new pads are fitted and the foot brake is pumped a bit do the adjusters spring back and take up any slack and adjust automatically to the correct position ? or do you have to wind the adjusters out once the caliper is assembled back on to the disc ?
Is it worth while cleaning the adjuster in any way before putting it all back together ?

Does anybody have the required torque wrench settings for the caliper guide pin screws, caliper bolts on the rear brakes and the road wheel nuts for the alloy wheels.

Thanks for any help
Cheers Graeme

#21 ·
Many thanks Richard

Halfords have a tool for £20.99 do you know if this will work with the C Max.

I guess that this automatic adjuster on the EPB does that same job as we would see on shoe brakes that have the old style snail cam adjuster is this correct ?

On refitting it all back together do the brakes simply click back to the correct level ?

Thanks again for your help
Graeme

#22 ·
To answer a few Q's.....
Definitely clockwise for both sides. All parts are built into the caliper, I wouldn't consider opening it up! The EPB actuates onto the cable itself (look for abox of tricks under the spare wheel well!) so caliper is the same as manual handbraked cars.
Quite easy to wind back if you have the tool (make sure you get one that has hex on tool body as you need to turn this to remove the tool once caliper is wound back)
Once pads are in, press brake pedal to adjust before using handbrake.
Just the usual pad sliding areas to clean.
If you need pics get the ford TIS CD off ebay
It really isn't a difficult job - I put mine off for ages but wish I hadn't.
I bought this tool http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220392114131
but there are cheaper ones
HTH

#23 ·
SPECIFICATIONS

Lubricants, Fluids, Sealers and Adhesives
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Description ³ Specification ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Super DOT 4 brake fluid ³ ESD-M6C57-A ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Front Brake Disc Specification
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ ³ mm ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Brake disc diameter Ä vehicles with 2.0L engine, 1.6L diesel or 2.0L diesel ³ 300 ³
³ Brake disc diameter Ä vehicles with 1.6L or 1.8L engine ³ 278 ³
³ New brake disc nominal thickness ³ 25 ³
³ Worn brake disc discard thickness * ³ 23 ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ„ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Maximum brake disc thickness variation ³ 0.025 ³
³ Worn brake pad discard thickness** ³ 1.5 ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
* When the discard thickness has been reached, install a new brake disc and brake pads.
** When the discard thickness has been reached, install new brake pads.

Torques
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Description ³ Nm ³ lb-ft ³ lb-in ³
³ ³ ³ ³ half "> ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Brake caliper anchor plate retaining bolts ³ 115 ³ 85 ³ - ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Brake caliper retaining bolts ³ 28 ³ 21 ³ - ³
³ Brake hose to brake caliper union ³ 18 ³ 13 ³ - ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
SPECIFICATIONS

Torques
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄ„ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Description ³ Nm ³ lb-ft ³ lb-in ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Wheel nuts ³ 85 ³ 63 ³ - ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

I can't presently get to the rear disc info but it won't be much different

#24 ·
Didn;t previously see he question about the tool in halfords
The important bit is the disc with the pins in it that turn the end of the caliper as you wind it back. There are different arrangements depending on the model and Fraud are loath to give out such data I've found

#25 ·
Hi again Richard

I am beginning to get the idea now, the tool is a disc about 6mm thick maybe 40 mm or so in diameter, this disc has a square drive in the centre which is driven via a drive that reacts against a plate that reacts against the caliper.
This tool / disc has two pins sticking out of the side on say a 20mm or so PCD, this then presses against the end of the piston and the pins engage into the end of the piston and then its possible to wind the piston back clockwise.
There is mention of 19.5mm PCD and 6 mm pin diameters for the 1.6 C Max, do you know if this is the same as the 2 L TDCI ?

Am I right in the above ?

Looking a bit easier now if the above is correct.

Cheers Graeme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.