Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since getting my 54 (04) serviced in December by an independent garage, we've been having big problems with our C-MAX. The power steering failed on the A1 one cold evening shortly after the service, and it frequently doesn't start. Then the other week I had to limp back from Cambridge after the car's electronics decided the car was buggered. I reckon I'm on the verge of getting ex-communicated by my vehicle recovery service.

The problem is that my local Ford Garage don't seem very capable. The starting problem is intermittent, so I can appreciate that this might be hard to find, especially when it seems to start first time whenever they get it, but I get the impression that if Ford's software doesn't report the problem accurately, then they're stuffed.

I'm on the verge of taking a sledge hammer to the thing, but I'd much rather get a few more years out of the car if possible. Does anyone have any advice or know someone really handy with a C-MAX in the East Sussex region?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hi glowkeeper welcome.
I know this might sound daft but maybe the alternator is on the way out.When it starts to go,loads of different problems crop up.
Keep us posted
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it seems there's nothing wrong with the alternator and the car has come back with a clean bill of health. But I've been here before and I know the car will not start sometime soon. And it's not driving anything like as well as it was; the car is an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Is there no-one on here who can recommend a mechanic with hardcore CMAX experience?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi glowkeeper, sorry mickey i dont agree with the alternator and bad starting. Let me clarify that before I upset Mickey, If you have a good battery the car should start easily. If the alternator is faulty then as Mickey says weird things will start to happen once its started,with mine its the epb parking brake followed by steering failure. There are many things that will affect starting:
Battery : should enable the engine to turn over at a decent speed for a couple of mins .
Fuel : If you have a diesel try changing the filter and ensuring that there are no air bubbles in the clear plastic pipe before the main pump. It is not uncommon for a seal to leak and allow air into the fuel line resulting in bad starting. If petrol are the spark plugs clean gapped correctly and are the ht leads and coil packs ok.
If you eliminate the above then its starting to becometricky dodgy sensor etc. If your batteryhasnt got a decent charge to give a good turn over then Mickey could very well be correct.
Let us know whether you have a diesel or petrol and we can continue. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It`s well worth doing all you suggest,I was only thinking of something obvious that has caused many of us problems.
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it started, got to 2nd, then cut out! bl***dy car :(

Thanks for your suggestions guys; I'll pass them on to the latest mechanic I have looking at it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stupidly didn't mention that the independent garage who, IMHO, caused all this, managed to blow the starting motor and crack the fuel pipe whilst making a complete botch of a service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might be worth checking the wiring to the starter motor. Not sure what it is like on CMAx but I had a Renault Clio that had an awful spade connector as the return. This was forever working loose under vibration and caused starting problems and engine cut-outs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts