Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
(None driver here!) Dont understand cars but can anyone please help, my mums battery has died on her ford cmax zetec. It's still on its original battery after 13 years and my dad used to do all things car related and never shows us what to do. However he is no longer around so me and my mum are trying to get our heads around it all.

We have a car charger but no idea where it goes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok hopefully your charger has a red and black cable (or just the clips are coloured)
open your bonnet and top right there is a black cover that just pulls off
the battery is under that - connect the clips from the battery charger onto the battery - you should be able to see a + symbol on the battery terminal closest to you (the red one connects to that) the one at the back under the tray is the negative (check as it's important not to get them wrong)
once both are connected plug the charger in
I don't know how long the battery will take to charge as it depends on your charger.
once you are charged start the car and drive it to halfords and get a new battery fitted it's probably had it.
obviously I can not take responsibility for any mistakes / problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya thank you for your reply! I have removed the plastic tray bit. Theres clips on the battery do I take these off to connect the charger do you know?

I have been trying to google and youtube it but it's all for the newer makes of ford and not the zetec

·
Registered
20 Posts
if the clips are metal on the battery then you just clip onto that
sometimes they have plastic covers to stop things from shorting them out , if so they should lift up
you are looking for a metal object (on the top of the battery) which has nut's bolts or screws on it - ie it is the electrics bolted onto the battery - clip onto that / one for + and one for -

·
Registered
20 Posts
all cars are about the same - just don't leave the charger on to long if it's not a fully auto version - it should take about 1 hour to charge maybe 3 if the charger is a small one, see if it starts after 1 hour - then try again after another hour if no luck, you should tell how the charging is going by how the starter motor sounds when turning over

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to add a little to your post, please make sure charger is disconnected before you try to start the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts