Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck fitting a new gearstick cover. I unscrewed the gear stick nob, pulled the leather gaiter/cover off. But how do I get the leather off the chrome and black plastic shaft collar? There's no obvious clips or zip ties, just chrome plastic on top and black plastic underneath. Both these sides are clamped firmly to the middle hole of the leather cover.

The replacement part I've got is just the leather and the square black plastic base. So I need to separate the old leather cover from the chrome and black plastic collar otherwise I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Not sure I’ve got you completely, but when I replaced mine there was a hidden zip tie fastening the leather to the knob & on the other end I’m sure it was just stapled.
A picture would help.

(Snigger...I said knob!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The following Youtube vid might be helpful (Kuga and C-Max 2008- 2010). One of the comments says: 'there are actually Different C-Max Covers - the one you mention (part number 1639784) suitable for C-Max 2008, has the plastic clip underneath & removable Gearknob. The other is Part number(s) 1639781/1639782 where there's no Clip or Spring underneath & the whole gearknob / cover comes off in one go - but it's STILL for C-Max 2008 models'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG, so the part I got was not for my car!!! The gaiter I have is just the leather bit and square plastic base. So it seems you can’t take the collar off at all! I’ll have to take it up with Amazon because it’s advertised as my model car but clearly mine is identical to that video where the collar is fitted to the gaiter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The amazon seller was really helpful and with pictures and instructions got it replaced.

The chrome collar is surrounded by a black plastic collar with tabs that can be levered out. Damn fiddly and you need to be an octopus to put tooth picks in the gaps you open and pull it through at same time.

All sorted now. Looks good.

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
I take it you have an Octopus handy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts