Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just been sent the link for this site by another member (Thanks Steve) And I am hoping that you may be able to help me.

I am having a heated windscreen fitted to our LX this week.

I have checked the wiring and some of it is fitted to our car. Unfortuantly, under the bonnet the wiring is present, but in the car it is not
I have found where the relay and the 2 x 40 amp fuses go and the wires that connect to the bottom of the screen. However, in side the car there is no wire for the switch and the inside fuse box does indicate if an aditional relay is fitted to time the heated screen.

I can wire this up the old fashioned way with 2 x 30 amp relays and a switch on the dash. But this will not be timed, and if left on could damage the screen and cause an unnessary power drain.

To get round this, I could use the timed feed from the heated rear window to feed the front heated screen with an extra switch. i.e. the front screen will only work when the rear is on but can be turned off independantly.

So I am after some information...

1. According to the manual the rear screen is timed at 14 mins but it does not say how long the front is timed. Does anyone know?

2. Does anyone know if there is a timed relay in the inside fuse box AND if so, what position is it in?

3. Has anyone else retro fitted a front heated screen?

Cheers

Andy
www.trimwizard.co.uk

54 C-Max 1.6 109 TDCI LX (Family car)
57 VW Caddy Van 1.9 TDI
Edited by: Trim Wizard

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Hi Andy

Has the "other site" all but shut now or just lacking posts
I'm not sure I knew there was a timer on the front screen. As our LX has the heated screen too I'll try to remember to check how long it's on for when next de-icing

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Andy

I've just looked at the wiring diagram on the TIS
I think yes there probably is a similar timer for the front screen and that it ought also to be in the Central Junction Box
If you'd like to PM me an external e mail to which I can send ypu a PDF of the pages of the diagram

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford can not supply me with the fuses or the relay without the part number!

So does anyone out there know the part numbers?

There suggestion was to go and find a car with a heated screen and get the part number from it. They also, could not supply the fuses

And this was the same answer from 2 Ford dealers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WooHoo, I have spoken to another auto electrcian and have found a supplier for the relay & fuses. So should be a simple job now

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
paulyoung666 said:
for info , the front screen goesoff after about 5 minutes
Thanks for that.

I have my screen fitted and working
. I used all the orginal wiring under the bonnet and found the earth trigger wire inside the car. I connected this wire via a relay so that whenever the rear screen is on the front is also on.

I took some pics and when I get time I will post an update showing how I did it.

However, if anyone is down Surrey way I could wire this up for you now. I even have a freindly windscreen fitter who can supply and fit a screen who is based in Basingstoke.

Thanks for all the info.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just asking a 1st. question direct. Does the friendly man in Basingstoke land-Cope well with windscreens?? (Mark me well...........well,well!)
If this means anything to you then I guess I know to whom you refer,( If )it is gibberish then I apologise for the crytic c##p.
I need my screen replacing and will pay extra not to have autograss loose on Max.
After Xmas now me-thinks............................Ho Ho Ho.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CDORISMAX said:
Just asking a 1st. question direct. Does the friendly man in Basingstoke land-Cope well with windscreens?? (Mark me well...........well,well!)
If this means anything to you then I guess I know to whom you refer,( If )it is gibberish then I apologise for the crytic c##p.
I need my screen replacing and will pay extra not to have autograss loose on Max.
After Xmas now me-thinks............................Ho Ho Ho.
Nope, means nothing to me. My chap is independant and is over 60 andhas bags of experience. He has 2 younger lads that work for him, both very good. I pay my extra excess to have him do my screens instead of the big chains

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ah well. thank you for your reply. I refer to 1st Direct in Basingstoke. I think the main man is a little less than 3 score.
Ho Ho again, 'tis that time of year! (hic.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heated screen worked a treat this morning. By the time I had scraped the side windows clear the windscreen was clear

I have just been checking the wiring in the doors for heated mirrors and it is there and live when the rear heated windowis on. So I have just ordered 2 new heated mirror glasses from Ford for just under £40 inc vat for the pair.

I will need to make up a short loom from the plug inside the car into the mirror caseso that I can connect up the mirrors.

I will take some pics and post them so that you can see how this is done. Will let you have the Ford part numbers (if they fit).

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I've always thought our 54LX had the heated mirrors because it had the powered front windows. (as per the wiring diagrams)I'll check now you mention that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Richard G said:
I've always thought our 54LX had the heated mirrors because it had the powered front windows. (as per the wiring diagrams)I'll check now you mention that
I checked the Ford brochures and they showed that the LX & base model did not have heated mirrors.

The fuse is in the fuse box though

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As I thought the TIS disc makes no mention of other than front power windows and thus electric and heated exterior mirrors

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
How much would it cost to have one fitted & how long would it take as I`d be VERY interested in having one fitted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MetalMicky08 said:
How much would it cost to have one fitted & how long would it take as I`d be VERY interested in having one fitted.
The electrical parts cost£29 inc Vat andto fit would cost£45 inc Vat.

The screen supplied and fitted would cost £180 inc Vat.

So the whole job would be £254 inc VAT & fitting.

The whole job could be done at the same time at the windscreen fitters workshop in Basingstoke.

He did say that if enough people are interested he would see if could get a better price on the screens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The above prices are assuming that the wiring for the screen is present.

This is easy to check and does not require any tools other than your fingers. As simply removing the cover off the Battery Junction Box (BJB) and looking inside will let you know.

I will take some pics of the BJB and post them so that you can see if your C-Max has the wiring.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts