Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can someone help me? I've seen some posts from a few years ago on here about the dreaded electric parking brake problems i had the same problems on my focus cmax 2005 1.8l ghia. So after finding some new and second hand parts I've took out the epb as it's gone bang! And converted it to manual handbrake (took me about 2hrs) and works really well, only trouble i have now is finding out how to get the "total epb failure" off the dashboard screen for next mot. Lots of talk of buying a elm327 cable and forscan software to remove. Just not sure if it will work and how to go about it. Other option is changing the dashboard cluster to a cmax model with manual handbrake (not 100% sure this would work) or take it to ford garage i have spoken to them and said they would need it for the day.. Can anybody help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello can someone help me? I've seen some posts from a few years ago on here about the dreaded electric parking brake problems i had the same problems on my focus cmax 2005 1.8l ghia. So after finding some new and second hand parts I've took out the epb as it's gone bang! And converted it to manual handbrake (took me about 2hrs) and works really well, only trouble i have now is finding out how to get the "total epb failure" off the dashboard screen for next mot. Lots of talk of buying a elm327 cable and forscan software to remove. Just not sure if it will work and how to go about it. Other option is changing the dashboard cluster to a cmax model with manual handbrake (not 100% sure this would work) or take it to ford garage i have spoken to them and said they would need it for the day.. Can anybody help?
Hi Woodhouse, did you get an answet to your problem as I am in the same boat now after having done the manual conversion too. And would appreciate how you got around it. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an interesting post for me, because I've wondered what to do if the EPB should go west. I think (but I'm far from sure) that to map out the EPB requires more involved equipment than just FORScan, that's why it takes a while to do. I gather it might be similar to mapping out the DPF or EGR valve, of which many people seem to take a dim view. I've not experienced the need to do any such thing, so I remain neutral on that point. I'm sure someone here can provide more information on whether or not it can be easily done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I successfully did the conversion the other day, very straightforward job to do, if you have basic knowledge. Problem was the handbrake light and epb failure message. However, after trawling ebay, I came across a garage in Hull that would do the entire conversion and remove all the failure messages for £275. He would charge me £90 as I had done all the work myself, but he guarantees no problems once it's done. I was due to go on Tuesday, but due to Boris announcement, haven't yet been. Let me know if you need any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info mate, I just don't have the technical confidence to do that sadly. Its a s ahme because I wouldn't mind activating the lights to stay on when you get home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want to remove the msg's yourself and also be able to do other stuff take a look here ELMConfig - Enable/Disable Ford ECU Functions - James Simpson for a how to guide.
Also typing "forscan" in the search box on this forum will get you lots of info on using a modified elm327 cable with elmconfig software and a laptop to turn stuff on & off.
Thanks Oldman. Someone on the CMax Facebook Group had mentioned James Simpson, but I hadn't connected him with the ELMConfig capability. I will search under the forscan term and see what pops up. I'm on a voyage of discovery with this and its become a bit of a project; I don't need the car during lockdown so I don't mind delving into the depths of circuitry and programmes. It's becoming quite fun, but I suspect that might wear off if I can't get the thing started.😃
I really appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts