Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all this is a bit long winded but here goesi have just fitted new rear brake pads to my c max & after i had changed the r/h side i removed the car key & the hand brake came on but the wheel would still turn so i pumped the foot brake & all was well.when doing the l/h side i did not let the handbrake come on i pumped the foot pedal first & the handbrake seemed to work ok but i travelled 2 mile up the road parked up applied the handbrake heard the motor for couple of seconds & then a loud groaning noise coming from the motor at rear which lasted about 5 seconds.when i tried to take off the handbrake nothing happened no motor noise & epb failure light on dash i tried the overide cable but handbrake still on i managed to unplug the loom to the epb at rear of cardisconnect battery put plug back in reconnect battery ignition on press handbrake off which worked but as soon as i put the handbrake back on i got same noise & it would not go off do youneed to calibrate the epb motor mech after fitting new pads & if so how tried searching everywhere but had no luck
many thanks chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have just sorted out my epb i got some instructions from a diagnostic company on how to deactivate & reativate & its now re calibrated will post instructions on here later
thanks chris

·
Registered
615 Posts
The way to make it so the epb will not come on when you remove the key is to keep the button pressed in the down position while removing the key the epb will not come on then.

As for the pads I have just had mine changed you make sure the epb not applied when changing them.

You do this by keeping the button pressed down when removing the key.

I would suggest you take the pads back out on both sides wind back the caliper then refit pads.

Then before doing anythink else pump the break pedal unti solid dont put the key in the ignition or anythink just pump the pedal.

Then put the key in tyhe ignition and apply the e.pb.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
when pumping the brake pedal be careful of possibly damaging the pedal switch.

It is a possibility due to the pedal travelling further than it normally would do because of having to move the caliper and the pads

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just an update it worked fine all day yesterday only i had "limited epd function" on the dash then today i got the loud shriek noise from the epb motor & the message "total epb failure" and it would not release the handbrake even pulling the release cable did nothing.i ended up taking the epb unit apart & using a power probe direct onto the motor i fully wind the cables off i then pumped the brake pedal reasembled the epb unit & touch wood it is working perfect but i still had the "limited epb function" on the dash but after driving 6 miles & using the epb the message has cleared.our next car will definately have a conventional hanbrake that you pull on manually,epb never again
thanks chris

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I will be needing to replace my discs very soon so I think I'll hand the keys over to a good friend to do the job!

Out of interest, what year is your c-max?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi its a 04 reg 2.0tdci ghia & the handbrake has locked on again today had to rescue the mrs from where she parked it the releasecable in centredoes not even remove the handbrake so tomorrow i will be taking the full unit off & stripping it to see if i can sort out whats causing it will keep you updated

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not good news :(
If per chance you could take some photos of the unit and what you do that would be great. Perhaps a nice "how to" bit.

I will also move this thread t the Focus C-Max Tech section where it will fit in better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just an update! i ended up having to take it into the local garage where they started from scratch rewound calipers & pluged in their ford machine there is a setting in the abs menu & you have to recalibrate the epb module there is apressure sensor on the cables which tells the motor to stop when the cable is tight but mine just kept pulling until the handbrake arm on the caliper was touching the stop block & the mechanism could not go any futher & was locking up they said my caliper could have exploded!.cost me £80 & touch wood its been fine for 1 week up to now
chris

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Damm things,why did they ever fit them in the first place.
Oh I know,lets make easy money out of our customers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll be honest though.

I think I may have caused the problem by not pumping the brakes enough before applying the EPB for the first time since the brake/pads change.

According to Ford, you are supposed to pump the brakes well over ten times.(could of sworn I did this)

Oh well, lesson learn't, an expensive one at that!

I think had I done this correctly, then the EPB would have been fine

ADVICE TO ANYONE REPLACING PADS AND DISCS ON EPB MODELS.

Pump the brakes well over 10 times and check the pads are snug before connecting the battery and applying the EPB brake. I don't wish for anyone to be paying £751 all in at Ford's.

My car is due at Ford's tommorrow for the new EPB motor. Here's hoping this is the end of my brief nightmare with the EPB!

I'll keep you all posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts