Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After four years of reasonably trouble-free ownership the dreaded EPB on my 2006 Ghia has decided to throw its teddy out of the pram and is causing the well-documented grief which will probably require complete replacement of the unit. Those who have been in the same situation will know the associated £££££££ are ridiculously high, especially as the overall value of the car is not much higher :(.

So, my question is, has anyone on here successfully converted their EPB to manual operation, and if so was it reasonably straightforward? I'm not underestimating the work involved but it would help to know specifics, such as.......are all the mounting points for lever, cables and so on all in place irrespective of trim level? My simplistic brain reckons a conversion to Zetec spec would be the way to go but although I've read various comments in various places about the feasibility of doing this I've yet to read a complete account from someone who has actually done it.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A bit too late but this is exactly what I have done.
I bought a late 2004 Ghia Ultima which was advertised as having a epb problem but failed to say that the entire module had been removed:eek:
So after getting quotes for the missing "brake actuator assembly" I found it was going to be a massively expensive repair.
So after some research I found that the calipers are the same on epb or manual models and I managed to track to an entire manual handbrake setup from a local breakers. With the additional purchase of new cables and the end pieces that go onto the caliper backs my Cmax was converted to the far less troublesome manual :)

·
Banned
2,747 Posts
I bought a late 2004 Ghia Ultima which was advertised as having a epb problem but failed to say that the entire module had been removed:eek:
So after getting quotes for the missing "brake actuator assembly" I found it was going to be a massively expensive repair.
So after some research I found that the calipers are the same on epb or manual models and I managed to track to an entire manual handbrake setup from a local breakers. With the additional purchase of new cables and the end pieces that go onto the caliper backs my Cmax was converted to the far less troublesome manual :)
Interesting. Where did you put the hand brake handle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I replaced the plastic surround so it was as though it came from the factory like it.
It doesn't look as nice as the EPB surround but it saved soooo much money and future worries. BTW is there an optional arm rest that could be fitted to the manual handbrake surround ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very pleased to be able to say that at last, I'm free of the hateful bloody EPB!! Had the car booked in yesterday for the work to be done and an MOT test, and the garage have done an excellent job. I did a small amount of prep work (well, okay, to be honest all I did was remove the original centre console!) but I had also used an Elm cable to access the vehicle "brain" and unticked the EPB from the various menus, which stopped the annoying warning messages such as "Total EPB failure" which were a serious pain in the a**e!! I then handed the car and the new parts over to the mechanics and crossed my fingers! The garage had never done this procedure before and according to the boss it was reasonably straightforward, and I now have a manual handbrake which looks as if it's always been there.............just wish I'd done it five years ago. Car passed the MOT as well, so I'm well chuffed!

Big thumbs up to the guys at Station Garage, Kintore for their help. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
URGENT!

"SARGE" - Could you please give me details of ELM cable and how/which program to use to delete?
I have removed the EPB, manual handbrake fine, now just need to "untick" as you describe, but do not know how.

Many thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

is there anybody in the Exeter area who has knowledge of "elmconfig" that could help me please?
I have ordered an ELM327 cable.

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorted!

£15 ELM cable (came with Forscan CD) & laptop.
Took 40 mins to sort the laptop end, just a few mins to do the job.

No EPB, No Warnings = Well Chuffed!

Simon

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a newbie and this was exactly what I was searching for. I have just bought a C Max and I was wondering what to do with the handbrake if it presents any problems. I've seen a video on YouTube about changing the motor and I wondered if it would be cheaper and more effective in the long term to just change the whole handbrake to manual. Thanks for this folks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What vehicle did you source parts from
?

·
Registered
4 Posts
To convert from EPB to manual is very simple, and not too time consuming.
Most owners elect to upgrade to the Titanium centre console, but for expediency and cost, the zetec console is the way to go!

If anyone is interested I have everything you might need, and am more than happy to assist or advise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts