Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005, 2 ltr TDCI Focus C-Max, 46k miles.
About 2 weeks ago the car wouldn't start, my wife left it for 15 mins tried it again and it started. The car was fine until this week.
The car wont start, the battery and starter motor are new and are fine. I had a diagnostic check and the chap said it was showing a cam belt sensor fault.

He changed the cam belt sensor, tried to start up the car, only for the same fault to come back. The engine attempts to get started but cant even turnover. The chap doing the diagnostic check was puzzled and said he thinks the cam belt has moved which has caused damage to the engine.
Best case it would be a costly repair job on the existing engine (£800-1000 min) or worst case the engine would need to be replaced, which is obviously very expensive.

Has anyone had a similar problems or other thoughts what the issue could be?
Does the information I have been given sound accurate?

Anyone know any good garages in north hertfordshire (I live in Letchworth, near Stevenage) that would do a good job with this sort of work?

We only brought the car about 7 months ago with a 6 month warranty, despite the cars age I thought I had a good deal as I thought cam belts needed to be changed at about 60k miles. The chap that checked the engine for me said its based on age as well as milage and the car is coming up to the point were the cam belt needed to be changed. Is this correct? Is it something the garage should have done before selling the car?
I'm gutted brought the car for £3800, love the car so don't want to get rid of it but seem to have limited choices.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
theres a camshaft sensor !! never heard of a cambelt sensor. has the cambelt snapped ? if its snapped that's gonna be a cylinder head off and replace bent valves jobby-and theres 16 of them that could need replacing.hopefully its only 1 0r 2.so it will be a pricey repair but very do-able.also you could also damaged all of the piston crowns so they might need replacing as well(worse case scenario).

·
Registered
454 Posts
The guy doing the diagnostic has replaced the camshaft sensor!
He needs to run the diag machine on live data and check for engine sync between the camshaft and crankshaft sensors ,if these sensors do not sync up chances are that the belt has jumped!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Sorry, yes it was the camshaft sensor (typo + stress from not having a car :) ). Yes he had the diagnostic machine hooked up to the car with a boaster on the battery. Tried to get it going an checked the data, he showed me the text that came up on the screen. He replaced the sensor and there was no difference.
The cambelt hasnt snapped, the guy that checked the car said he thinks it has moved, or I guess jumped as crash19999 suggested.
So is it worth getting the repair done or cut my losses and look for a replacement c-max? My worry is I could spend what Im guessing will be about £1k -£1.5k on repairing the engine but will it be the same again or will it be susceptible to other faults due to all the work done on it.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Not quite sure how easy it is withe the 2L diesel but as you have to use the timing marks to fit a new belt is it not the same marks to check if they still align at present to see if the belt has jumped

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, i have a cmax 2005 2ltr tdci had new glow plugs. New relay . New fuel pressure sensor . It was working then the next day it had engine system failure on the dashboard. Weve had all codes cleared even changed fuel pipes because of fuel pressure and air bubbles in the fuel pipe.. spent more on it than its worth and really havent got a lue, even had garage check ecu fir damage ir damp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts