Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out at 6.30,car was fine,dropped my son off 2 miles away & I`d got very little power,as if the turbo was not working.Got back home slowly & left it for 2 hours (it`s done this before & been fine then).Got in & started up & engine light was on and stayed on,went to get my son (slowly) and when I got back I still had light on & now power.Checked all wires,pipes leads the lot.Restarted & light still on but itwas revingfreely.Took it round the block and back to full power but engine light STILL on.Problem is I got the cat used 22 months ago and it was serviced by fraud for the first 2 sevices & from then on by an independant garage who I have also used since owning the car.Trouble is they don`t have a diagnostics set up for ford & I`m wondering if the problem is down to it not having any software updates since 2005.I`m going to ring my garage 1st thing & see what they say,if they can`t do it then it`s off to fraud.I supose it would be worth it but I know it`s going to cost

.Any one got any ideas ?
Cheers
MM

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The warning light is a n infication of a fault however transient it was in time, For the fault to be due to no software update would mean that every model would have to be programmed at design & Manufacture to require software updates throughout its life irrespective of need or of anything to update

I don't teven fraud could leep that sort of Scam quietfor ever and then think of the bad press they'd get

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rang Heartlands Tamworth & they can`t do anything untill Friday.I had to go to see the insultant at 9.10am & I`d only gone to the end of the road & the *&%£$ light went out & has not come on since.
As for the fault being down to not being updated,I`d have thought that when a vehicle went to a main dealer & was plugged into the diagnostics it would automatically update,therefore as mine has NOT been in for some time,there would be some updates that would be in their system but notmentioned to customers as a fault as it was just a software update.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to see a mate from my days @Volvo & he plugged in a fault code reader (£6000 dealer version),I put in make,model & engine info & it found the car within seconds.I went through the whole ECU & my problem is a sticking egr valve.I cleared the fault and out went the light
.I also found out that there is a generic software glitch in ALL C-Max both petrol & diesel.It can`t be removed.
This reader is brilliant,it even told me the alarm had been set off 4 times,once by opening the bonnet & forgeting to unlock the car & 3 times when the key fob packed up & I had to open it manually then start the car to deactivate it.
On the subject of updates,the diagnostics will automatically go in,same as an update on your pc from windows.
The 2.0 diesel Volvo is the same as the C-Max & I was able to plug mine into their diagnostics & it recognised the engine type and knew it was a 2004 C-max.It found out 2 relevent updates & downloaded them automatically without asking.
Anywaycars ok now,just need a new egr valve.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going for a new one as I think it will be cheaper in the long run especially if it goes again & have to have it refixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts