Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the last few days that the rev counter suddenly swings a few thousand as if I've just put my foot down to overtake someone, even if I'm going 30-40mph at a steady pace. I'm not pressing down on my accelerator at all.

Also yesterday I noticed my engine lights popped on. Orange,not flashing. Would it be related?

Ford focus c max (2004)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had something similar happen on my 06 2 litre petrol Ghia after Halfords attempted to recharge the air conditioning. Turns out it was a split hose somewhere deep in the engine bay. Apparently it's quite a common fault, hose was £50, labour £200 because of where the hose was situated. Really sorry I can't remember the name of the hose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I called greenflag out last week as I noticed I had homecall out on my policy so told them engine light was on and it was loosing power when driving.

Anyway, guy came out and reset the light so its not on, ran tests etc and said it was saying its a blockage in the pipes and to try running some engine cleaner additive when I fill my tank up, try that for a few weeks.

Also my cars due a service and he strongly recommended that ASAP.

I'll get it seviced at the end of Feb but at the moment it seems to be running a bit better but it still revs up when I'm not accelerating

·
Registered
338 Posts
When your driving along at a steady speed and not using the clutch as a footrest the only way the revs can rise "a few thousand rpm" is through clutch slip or wheel spin, we can discount wheel spin so you are left with a bad clutch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oldman - that wasn't my experience when the exhaust breather pipe went on my cmax. Revs would race up when in neutral and when driving along the car would get 'racey' and when I dipped the clutch the revs would again shoot up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
"When in neutral & dipping the clutch" is not the conditions the original poster said were present when the revs rose up all on their own. In any gear with the clutch fully engaged the whole drive train is solid connected. In that condition only clutch slip or wheel spin can cause the revs to rise. Hes not saying the car accelerated, just the rev counter showed extra revs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts