Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

hi all

has anybody had an issue with the engine "pinking" between 1800-2400 rpm on the latest zetec engines my 07 1.8 facelift model sounds like a bag of spanners have been placed inside it. need to know before giving it to the local ford desler to sort out.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Does it happen Allthe time In every ger & At all load conditions?

Can you get it to make the same noise even in "ove-run"

If so then i'd suggest it's not pinking in the normal sense of the word after all it does seem a very low engine speed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi richard

thanks for replying, it happens in all gears and under all conditions ie uphill,down hill pulling away from a standing start but only between the stated rev range. i have also found searching the net that supermarket petrol could be the problem. i have been told to try super unleaded instead of the norm unleaded to see if the problem then stops.will let you know the outcome later

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If it were the fuel then it would be more likely to happen a great deal moreat higher revs as the ignition has to be advanced further then

The theory to ignition advance angle is that the flame front takes a nominal real time (seconds) to burn throught the cylinder but as the engine speed increases this time covers a greater number of degrees of rotation of the engine thus the ignition point is advanced further befor TDC to account for this

In modern fuel injection though the whole ignition advance is part of the three dimensional map in the ECU that sets the value for all combinations of engine speed and manifold vacuum (for petrol engines)

The only other main area to check is the "knock sensor" that retards the ignition when you get the condition you mention but I can't see how if this is giving problems that you don't get "knock" at higher revs as well

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI ALL

I RECENTLY GAVE THE CAR BACK TO THE DEALER AS THE PINKING IS GETTING LOUDER AGAIN. THEIR ANSWER THIS TIME WAS 1- THE ENGINE IS SET SO IT PINKS FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I LAUGHED WHEN HE TOLD ME THIS AND THEN ADMITTED IT CANT BE TRUE.2- IT WAS THE TYPE OF FUEL I WAS USING AGAIN HE AGREED THAT THIS CANNOT BE THE PROBLEM. EVENTUALLY HE OWNED UP THAT THEY HAVE HAD A NUMBER OF C MAX AND FOCUS 1.8PETROL COME BACK WITH OWNERS COMPLAINING OF LOW REV PINKING AND AT THIS POINT OF TIME FORD DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO CURE THE PROBLEM.I THEREFORE NOW HAVE TO GET A LETTER FROM FORD STATING THAT IF MY ENGINE BLOWS UP BEFORE THEY FIND A FIX FOR THE PROBLEM AND MY WARRANTY RUNS OUT THAT FORD WILL REPAIR IT FOC. I HAVE THIS GIVEN TO ME VERBALLY BUT PUT IN BLACK AND WHITE IS BETTER

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If the dealer admitted that it's a known problem then probably there is a service instruction from Ford even to say that at present they do not have a fix

See if the dealer would give you a copy of this or start rumblings about that it is obviously not fit for purpose and that as they can't repair it you want a refund

Should focus everyones mind fairly quickly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts