Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Long time no post!!!

I have looked on the search, but for some reason cannot find the answer, can someone advise the best, or second best engine oil to get for my 2005 2.0 TDCI 134 BHP engine, I have only covered 4,500 miles since I bought it last May
and it needs a top up now...

Thank you in advance.Edited by: burtoncustomx

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The oil for both is 5W30

There is also a version that says it is to a particular Ford Spec as well
depending on your view of Halfords they do a 5L container that is then enough to do a whole pil chage if required

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rrichard,

Would the best stuff be Castrol or similar? the reason I ask is that before I bought my C-Max I had had company cars for the previous 15 years so never had to bother with oil or fuel costs or servicing, now I have to pay for these products
I want to get the best available but at the right price, not too cheap but also not to get ripped off for oil that I do not really need where Halfords stuff would have been OK.

Cheers for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep the 5w30 is the usual and i have done an oil change with Castrol which seems good if a bit pricey as we all know. I had plenty with one full container which i think was 5L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just resurrecting this thread as I bought some 0W30 fully synthetic from Homebase for a good price today (less than half price in fact!). Would this be suitable for a 2.0TDCi? I couldn't resist but I couldn't remember what the manual recommended when I made the purchase. Could always take it back if too risky to use!

Cheers

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think the first case is to check just what standard it says it is approved to and if it a reputable make then I would think there ought not to be a major problem unless there is any restriction on using a fully synthetic in a CMax

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't use any oil apart from the approved 5W30 spec. Diesel engines are extremely expensive to repair, so it's just not worth taking risks with non-spec oil.

For the sake of a few quid versus thousands of pounds for a new engine, I know what I'd do!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Millers seconded here. I use the fully synthetic stuff (XFD 5w40) which not only seems to be highly recommended on the Honest John forums, but is also cheaper than most semi-synthetic oils.

·
Registered
73 Posts
its got to be acea a3/b4 and any make will do, 4.5 ltrs 05/40 fully synthetic made by Q8 12.99 @ Country Wide, modern oils are desinged for petrol and diesel engines.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just go with the halfords 5w30 fully synthetic. I ticks all the boxes for the max and if you time it right you get a professional set of screw drivers to match. I think the vw 5.05 class is a one of the best something to do with extra shear forces due to the extra cam lobe on the pump duse engines.

·
Registered
73 Posts
as long as it says ACAE3/4b on the container its all good for a diesel, just shop aound.
Most modern oils are suitable for petrol and diesel applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts