Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm accelerating reasonably hard, not made though, and I get to just over 2,000 RPM, the car is boing boing boinging me and I'm getting Engine Malfunction in the display. It doesn't seem to affect anything but it obvsiously shouldn't be doing this. Anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had this happen on an Econetic Mondeo, one of the wires was dodgy on an injector and it was intermittently stopping the injector from working.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm buying an EGR blanking plate on Ebay to try that first, but I think I may have to invest in a fault code reader. Do they have to be specific for ford or are they generic?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Guys, took you advice and bought a cracking MaxiScan code reader on Ebay, just £20.

Code reads:

P010F - mass or volume air flow sensor A/B correlation!

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this actually means in English?

I've just looked it up on the Forum and it obviously relates to the MAF and possibly pipework. If you think that's what this code is, does anyone have a picture or instructions as to where this sensor and pipework is. I'm skint and really don't want to book it into a garage.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I'm presuming diesel rather than petrol
I suspect you need to check all the pipework after the AFM. Do you get any sort of whistle noise (like air escaping) in any of the pipework downstream of the turbo?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a diesel, and yes I do get a noise. It's a weired noise though, it's when the revs are reasonably high and I'm about to change gear, it sounds like a metallicy whistle which almost sounds like a rattle. I've checked all the pipework best I can and can't find any holes. I might have to have a look underneath too.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
sounds like a split hose
you might like to mix up some soapy water in a hand spray and then spray on all the pipework. If you have a major leak you ought to start to blow big bubbles

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen other pictures which are different to mine. I think I will have to take the top of the airbox off and have a look. I'll report back, thanks for the tips

·
Registered
271 Posts
The code definition is indicating Large discrepancy between predicted and measured (by the MAF) airflow into engine
Action: Check for a hose off between turbo compressor and inlet manifold. This is the high pressures side for the induction system and will cause a whistle sound if there is a hole.
WARNING: you will overspeed the turbo if you push it and that is very expensive. The code should have a torque limitation attached to it to prevent engine damage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The MAF will be located just after the air box outlet. in the picture above you can make out the MAF by the red locking tab. You car should show the same.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The MAF is in the low pressure side of the induction system so if you have a hole in the system the engine will be drawing air in that does not run by the MAF. so the predicted air flow for the speed and load requested will not match what is being seen at the MAF. A failed MAF should set a different code.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, your picture is same as mine (even the same colour car)!!!. I can confirm that the pipe that was split on mine is that very large dusty one that the red connector plug is connected to. You can take the MAF out to clean it (with proper cleaner), just under the four screws and it pulls out. Mine was that dusty pipe with a split in it. Pretty sure yours is the same problem.

You need to take the top of the airbox off first, remove the filter and look down the pipe, you can then see the sensor.

·
Registered
454 Posts
check your air pipe that goes on to the intake manifold there is a sensor in there! on some of the models with the plastic pipe the sensor would tear out of the pipe causing this fault code.
i will look up some tsb for u

1 - 20 of 22 Posts