Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I wonder if any members would be able to offer any advice on the problem my 2006 petrol Mk 2 C Max is currently giving me? The problem is this:
I put the key into the ignition and turn it on, the red light at the top of the instrument cluster (between temp and petrol gauges) then flashes rapidly...the message "Steering Assist Failure" is then displayed...this then changes to "Engine Systems Fault". Engine doesn't crank.
Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Battery is flat or at least too flay to pass the prestart checks. Charge the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Oldman
Thank you for your reply. I will do as you suggest over the weekend and let you know
the outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charged the battery as suggested.
This seem fine at first...no rapid flashing or messages. Did only 3 miles on first day, 12 miles (to work & back) on 2nd day, went to use it on 3rd day back to rapid flashing red light and those messages.
Took battery (2 yrs and 3 months old) back to Halfords - they checked it and it is ok.
Will be grateful for further suggestions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Took battery back or took car in to check battery? Maybe the battery isnt getting charged by the alternator properly. Did they check that or just the battery? How do you know you fully charged the battery? Both the alternator and the leads going to it are prone to fail on c-max's of that age. If you have a dc test volt meter use it to check the battery voltage with the engine running is 13 to 14v or up to 14.8v dc or take the car to someone who can check it for you.
You had 2 trips where it worked fine so either it was running the battery down while you used it or its got a drain when parked up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts