Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Seems after looking through the forum there can be a number of reasons for the Engine Failure message to pop up

I have a 59 plate C Max which until this week was running fine. No starting issues, noises, stuttering at all.

Went away for 10 days, and came back to find the car wouldnt start / turn over at all, followed by the engine failure warning.

car had been driven the day before we went away, and was absolutely fine,

We have AA cover so called them out. Guy checked the battery And, according to his note the alternator. Battery was showing low, and although after the guy charged it for 30mins the car started.

I agreed to have the battery replaced (on Saturday) and drove the car on Sunday on a 20mile round trip without any issues.

Went out tonight......and nothing. Won't start, just dead, then the Engine Failure warning,.

Car is (or was) a good runner, despite 112k on clock and I hoped a flat battery was the issue, I dont want to throw money away, but its our only car so stuck at the moment.

any advice other than Fords going through the codes ? (not sure I can actually get it there).

one last thing.....was raining when it wouldnt start on Saturday, dry when driven Sunday, raining tonight ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
best to start with checking voltages when running to see if charging - I use a cigarette plug voltage reader (costs just a couple of pounds from fleabay etc)
it should read about 14v when running
so if it's charging then you need to check if the dash lights go out (they take about 10 mins to turn off once the car is locked)
if still all ok then pull some fuses - take out every thing you don't need radio windows etc , as it's likely that something is staying on draining the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

just been out to the car and it started first time

guesswork but it seems its refusing to turn over / giving warning message when cold / raining.

battery changed Thurs and given short run.

nit driven again til sunday (48hrs and didnt drain at all). It was dry and warm out.

Monday night....cold and raining....refused to start or turn over.

tues lunchtime.....warm out....started first time.

anyone have any ideas on what would cause this ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts