Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cmax grand 2011, the electric power steering just failed whilst driving (scary) I’ve reported it to ford and DLVA with it being a safety issue. Anyone had similar issues and if so did ford help out at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bit late to the party but I had a similar experience with a 2011 Vauxhall Meriva. Total failure whilst driving, no warning signs, no strange noises or dodgy steering leading up to the fault. AFAIK ford use a similar set up to Vx with an electrically operated hydraulic pump and torque sensor arrangement. Vauxhall didn't want to know, despite the fact that it's a safety critical feature. Ford will no doubt say the same...because the driver can steer the vehicle without power assisstance, it's classed as 'fail safe'. In practice, this is utter bollocks: I'm a fit and healthy middle-aged bloke and I really struggled to wrestle the car to the side of the road when the PA failed...god knows how a young mum would manage? After all, these vehicles are targeted towards this market. I pointed this out to VX customer care (an oxymoron if ever I heard one). If I had been killed as a consequence of a failed PAS pump and the car had been damaged in the process, an accident investigator would not be able to determine whether the pump failed before the accident or as a direct result of the damage sustained...that's how manufacturers manage to get away without a big Class Action. It's cheaper to let customers crash and burn and hope the investigators don't identify a pre-crash fault due to sub standard parts supplied as original equipment, than replace what they know to be suspect quality as a matter of principle....Profit before people

1 - 3 of 3 Posts