Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

The talk of power loss and black smoke reminded me of the problems I had with my 2004 2.0TDCi. I then remembered that I had fished out a Ford Technical Service Bulletin on this issue that I presented to the Ford garage to get it fixed. The TSB is shown below and refers to specfic engine types (but it may be broader now). There is also a re-calibration step and it may be for those that a replacement EGR has not worked then this has not been done. Anyway it cured my problem and it has been ok ever since (touch wood).

Apologies if this is old news.

--------------------------------------------------------------
The car symptoms were: Sometimes would not start - would take several cranks and when it finally started a plume of black smoke came out of the exhaust. Sometimes the power would just disappear and pumping the throttle did nothing. This was the most dangerous thing as I pulled out once and the car just died in front of oncoming traffic. You could either wait and hope that it would kick back in or restart the engine. Again accompanied with black smoke.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The TSB was:

TSB 7/2006
Subject/Concern: Hesitations; Poor or no start; Deteriorated fuel economy; Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P1412, P0490 and P1335 stored
Model: Focus C-MAX 2003.75 (06/2003�) Build Date: 14.02.2004-01.03.2006
Build Code: 4R-6S
Assembly Plant: Saarlouis
Engine: 2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel
Focus 2004.75 (07/2004�) Build Date: Up to 01.03.2006
Build Code: Up to 6S
Assembly Plant: Saarlouis
Assembly Plant: Valencia
Engine: 2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel
Markets: All
Section: 303-08
Summary

Should a customer express concern about one of the following:

* hesitations,
* poor or no start,
* deteriorated fuel economy,
and upon investigation diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P1412, P0490 and P1335 are stored in the powertrain control module (PCM), the probable cause is a sticky exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.

To rectify this concern, a new EGR valve with a stronger EGR valve motor and revised PCM calibration should be installed.

NOTE: Use CD-42 or a later version.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts