Ford C-Max Forum banner

EGR advice please!

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard G 
#1 ·
Hi all

54 plate 2.0 TDCi, manual,90k miles. Does this sound like an EGR problem as it fits some but not all of the symptoms discussed elsewhere...?

Twice now after a fault free run, the engine has refused to rev above 2000-2500rpm. The turbo never 'arrives', so driving is not impossible, but is 'fun' (max speed in 6th is about 72...). The Engine management light comes on (only the next time the engine is started - not during the first event whilst the engine is running). Acceleration to 2000rpm is almost normal, but the engine then simply refuses to pull any more (its like hitting a rev limiter). It is aslo a bit lumpy at tickover, though not too bad.

I never have starting problems, and the engine is not noticably smokey. The first time this happened (a month ago)it went away after 24hrs and a long motorway run. It happened again yesterday andI've just driven 90 miles to work on the motorway (at 70 mph but,hey, I got 56mpg!) and after restarting the engine in the carpark, it appears to have cleared again (management light still on but last time it stayed on until after about 3 normal runs)

Previously, after it cleared, the engine ran perfectly.

So.... is this an EGR problem? I'll get the AA out when I get home on Thursday, but in the meantime have ordered some EGR cleaner off ebay. Getting to the valve doesnt seem too hard - but do I just disconnect the silver pipe at the back of the enginethat leads to the manifold on the front, and spray it in to the valve with the engine off (I assume the valve is around the back?). Is there any need to spray anywhere else?

The only other thing I can think of is a turbo leak as it can be a bit 'whistle-ey'. Wheres best to check for that sort of thing?

Hope that all makes sense and ta for any advice!

DaniboyEdited by: Daniboy

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Daniboy,

The light on could mean that it needs the DPF fluid as this needs doing every 75,000 miles. Mine got to around 116000 before I needed it. Not cheap either and a Ford or Ford independent job as well.

As for the EGR, well if you get to around 2,000, then hit the pedal and nothing no matter how many times you pump it and either it will launch in force factor 9 or you need to pull over and re start the engine then perhaps it is the EGR. Has this done it at idle speed as well?
It might also be the turbo as I have read here about cracked pipes but, touching wood, you get my drift!

You are right in saying that it is the chrome pipe to undo.
About half way up the pipe, you need to undo the bolt to give it flex and then, of course, where it ends at the back, undo the bolts and move it slowly to one side. What you see then is the EGR. Spray in there and use a rag and spray some more and when you have finished, spray some more!
The rest of the can needs spraying into the air intake.
Undo the Air intake from the Air filter box and then twist to one side so you can spray into the tube easily. Best to get a helper as well to raise the engine speed to 2,000 rpm while spraying. As you spray the engine will raise the RPM as the spray passes the MAF.
Even if it's not the EGR, doing this is a must to keep going and I have noticed that since doing mine and also keeping to Shell diesel, it has been behaving itself.

#3 ·
i experienced similar on my 1.6 tdci 109, the day after filling up at a local morrisons (apparently they sell 20% biodiesel as opposed to 10% every where else!) ran like a dog, no turbo boost, cleared it by booting it till eventualy the revs picked up, topping up with bp diesel and some hard runnng. Okay till now fingers crossed.

#4 ·
Ive looked into egr faults and they can be caused by slow runnig sppeds and excevive idling, apparently ford introduced a software upgrade to cure this.
just as an after thought puegot use the same engine (all made by ford at dagenham) with out to many problems reported on internet forums.

#6 ·
It's a good idea to run on Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate diesel, as they're cleaner fuels with additional detergents. Could help prevent EGR problems as well as blocked injectors and badly lubricated fuel pumps.

The extra expense is worth it, considering how much it costs to fix EGR, Injector, or fuel system problems.

#7 ·
Our 2.0TDCI did this abouta year ago. Ended up with the missus stuck near Dumfries, I wasn't happy. Put it into a local ford garage who'couldn't find anything wrong with it' and it happened again. Put it in again so they had 'another' look and found some 'damaged' wires, I couldn't getmuch info out of them as it was like drawing blood from a stone. The warrenty we had didn't cover 'electronic' errors. So we took the car back and it happed AGAIN. Went back in, and this time the found the EGR problem, got that fixed as it was under mech. warranty, (so they got their hands on our cash anyway) and had no problems since. The car gets used regularly with minimal idling and good cruising speeds so I'd be dubious about fuel issues, most of these engines are pretty smart.As for Ford, worst service and customer skills I've ever experienced.

#8 ·
Quick update from me on the EGR problems - well it actually turned out to be a faulty sensor in the DPF (diesel particulate filter). Syptoms are pretty much identical to EGR faults - limp mode, occasionally cleared by restarting the engine etc etc, but the cost isnt! £190 including diagnosis at the local Ford spot so not bad really....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.